Thursday, January 12, 2006

The World's Most Evil Blog Topic

Hi folks... since I'm pretty much responsible for blogger John's latest Weekend Assignment: Evil Earworms, I figured I better participate.

In case you hadn't heard, "earworm" is a term for a song, especially an annoying one, that gets stuck in your head.

It could be a song you like; it could be a song you hate. Children's songs and pop songs are particularly pernicious, since they tend to have simpler, more repetitive melodies and hooks.

For example, songs that easily get stuck in my head include:

* It's a Small World After All
* Hanson's MmmmBop
* The Macarena, The Electric Slide, The Chicken Dance, and pretty much every other wedding/bar mitzvah deejay song

Now, what do most people do when they have a song stuck in their head? Why, they share it with everyone around them! Sometimes it helps, but mostly, it's an attempt to get everyone to suffer along with them.

Earworms are a type of meme, which is basically an idea that spreads itself.

Anyway, my worst earworm is also the best antidote to other earworms. It's kind of in "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" territory, since the cure is usually worse than the disease. Ready?

It's Achy Breaky Heart, by Billy Ray Cyrus. But it gets better -- it's not the original version:

It's the Chipmunks' cover version of Achy Breaky Heart

If you're too young to remember Billy Ray Cyrus or the Chipmunks, consider yourself lucky.

As an antibody and cure to earworms, I find that listening to good classical music (or even mediocre electronic remakes of classical music), usually does the trick, since the complex nature of classical music, with all the themes, recursions, variations and patterns, tends to overwhelm the simplistic nature of most earworms.

Oh, and the photo that blogger John treated up? Here you can see his version:

Joe Screams, Scalzi Version

and the original as I sent to him:

Joe Screams, Original

It's kind of hard to see, but I am wearing headphones in the photo.

Thanks to Jamie for taking it.

Talk to you. -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea, Joe, countering an earworm with classical.  Unfortunately, one of the bits that's been stuck in my head all week IS classical - Alleluia by Bach.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
I think this assignment was a great one!  I really didn't have to think hard! It comes natural, since has haunted me since my childhood lol!

http://journals.aol.com/heavenlyearthnr/Afro_Boricua/entries/2013

NENA :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe :)

Very cool chocie for a Weekend Assignment. Thought I would drop you a link to my entry for this week. :)

Always, Carly :) Ellipsis...Suddenly Carly
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com/2006/01/john-scalzis-weekend-assignemt-94.html

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I made a mistake in the link. Uggggggg! Sorry Joe :)

http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com/2006/01/john-scalzis-weekend-assignment-94.html

Anonymous said...

Having trouble with your headset? oops! do not listen to the songs that you do not like because it is bad to your ears Joe.
Rein:)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe.   I don't hate you.  Just thought you should know.  Bye.
Julie :)

Anonymous said...

P.S.  Star Jones has a blog?  WOW!!!  Julie

Anonymous said...

I kinda like the Macarena.