Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Updates on Previously Mentioned Issues

Hi folks -- here are a updates on items that I'd mentioned earlier:

* Hit Counters: Last week, I started getting mail from some of you who'd written in to say that your hit counters had reset. I still don't have any definitive answers as to why this happened -- as you recall, counter resets used to be a much more common occurance, until the Hometown folks took some steps to reduce the "write-lock" problem that caused the problem.

I haven't heard widespread reports of counter problems for some time, so those steps seems to have worked up until recently.

In the meantime, if your counter has reset (or you just generally want to mess about with the numbers on your hit counter), you can use the Web-based File Manager to manually change the number of your counter. Admittedly, it's a slightly involved process, but it's not terribly difficult.

* Blogger.com Comment Notification E-Mails: I don't have an official update from the Mail Ops team yet, so I wouldn't quite count this as closed, but in my own testing, and as some of you have noted in a group blog, the problem I blogged about last Friday regarding blogger.com comment notification e-mails not making it to AOL.com users appears to be better.

I will post any official word when I get it.

* The Star Jones Reynolds Blog: Sorry, this item has been in my "pending" hopper for a while. The Star Jones Reynolds blog, which I originally blogged about when it launched on January 6, pretty much lasted a day and a half -- by Sunday, January 8, it had been made private. The following Monday, it was back up with comments off, but then it was taken down completely Monday or Tuesday.

That's the basic timeline; as to the reason why it was taken down, well, there's not that much to tell: Her first entry with her rules of blog behavior kind of rubbed people the wrong way, but things didn't really get rolling until the hardcore Star Jones haters got into the act.

Here's an independent account by one gossip blogger.

Anyway, there are apparently a lot of folks who purport to hate Star Jones for whatever reason, and a bunch of them got together to raid the comments and try to overrun them with a couple hundred vile, homophobic and generally obscene comments.

As I blogged earlier, celebs are different from us, in that people react to them in a way that's different from regular folks, so in that sense they are exceptional.

The advice that I would normally give to a blogger regarding managing comments doesn't necessarily work when you've got a few dozen or hundred people intent on driving you offline.

Different people handle comment moderation in different ways. I just looked over at the Rosie O'Donnell blog, just to see what she's doing (since she's another high-profile celeb whose blog attracted a lot of attention)  -- some of her entries allow comments, others don't.

Naturally, as a blogger, I would have preferred it if Star Jones had continued her blog (even if she had to turn comments off), though I can understand it if she didn't want to put up with it right now.

Just my opinion. Thanks -- Joe

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what...now that I think about it, I tried to comment on someone's Blogger account who has an AOL address.  A while later,  I got an e-mail saying that it couldn't be sent, and it was returned back to me.  I use MSN for my e-mail...and the one comment I left for someone who doesn't have AOL as their Blogger e-mail got her alert.  Hope this helps a little.

Annie =)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I have only gotten one emailed comment from my blogger blog. Butthen again I have only gotten 1 comment this week on iyt.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I am getting my Blogger comments sporadically. Usually a day or two later.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe, Got your email and your suggestions. I will try it out. But, I think to be safe I will choose an alternate type of counter and stick it into my about me section. Take care!

>;0)~

Myra


Anonymous said...

Never mind my comment Joe. I finally got my counter back on track after at least an hour of trying. I was trying to rename my file in all small letters like you had yours when mine has three caps. Thanks, Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi -- sorry about that -- I will tweak the instructions to make it clear that the file names are case-sensitive. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joe.  I started getting my Blogger comment alerts last night.  I'm not sure tey're 100%, but they're much better now! :) - Karen
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

my hit counter started over again during the night.  That's the second time in a week.  And I really do not understand the instructions for re-setting it.  Just call me stupid.  

Anonymous said...

It's a shame when someone has to have a hate-on for another. I've read Rosie's blogs off & on and I think she has thicker skin...she doesnt back down..and they have something in place I think to stop the really bad comments.  So if AOL wants celebs to journal, perhaps they need to have a way to channel the comments and not let idiots chase people away.  Sandi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on Star Jones. Darn strange mix with celebs and blogs. They come prepackaged with readship and yet they seem unable to handle the challenges of blogging. Not everyone a blogger be I guess.