Monday, January 23, 2006

Monday Morning Catchup

Hi folks -- hope you had a good weekend. It's just barely noon on Monday and I'm already way behind on stuff. How far behind? Well, for starters, I still have to send the New Guest Editor's Picks Alert (link is kind of ugly, but it should work), which in a less-imperfect world would go out on Friday.

The problem is, it's the last thing I do on Friday, and if I let it slip (as I sometimes do), I'm kind of hosed, since it usually references the latest Weekend Assignment -- it doesn't really make sense to talk about the Weekend Assignment on Monday, so I usually wait until the latest Photo Shoot is up. It's kind of my death spiral.

In other news, here are a few items from over the weekend:

* Sunday's New York Times had a column on the Rules of Effective Trolling [free registration required, or use BugMeNot.com]. It's actually more of a guide to flaming a columnist or reviewer than a general guide to trolling, but it's kind of amusing.

* Speaking of flaming a columnist, WashingtonPost.com ombudsman Deborah Howell posted a followup to her column that ignited a nice little dustup about blog comments that I blogged about. If you're following the story, you might want to check it out. Does this mean the controversy is over? Unlikely.

* Since this entry is still in media mode, here's a link from last week -- it's the The Poynter Diet, or the daily news habits of some of the employees over at the Poynter Institute, which is a "school for journalists, future journalists, and teachers of journalists."

It's good place to check out some additional resources for news junkies (including a couple of mentions of Fark.com, which is where I found the link).

Thanks -- Joe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rule One of trolling... never take advice from the person you plan to troll.