Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Go, Go Gadget Geeks!

Hi folks... heads-up: The bloggers over at Engadget are in Las Vegas, covering the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

Now, CES is where geeks and gadget freaks want to go after they die.

Even if you're not an early adopter when it comes to the latest and greatest gadgets, the stuff that's showcased at CES is a good indicator of what tech is going to trickle down to the regular folks.

The Engadget folks (who train the entire year to get ready for this event) have a CES aggregator page with all the latest headlines from CES.

However, if you like gadgets, but don't care enough to obsessively slobber over every product demo article extolling the virtues of the new Bluetooth phone headset with improved antimatter injector technology, the main Engadget site will have the pretty pictures right up front for you to scan.

Also, for the duration of CES, we'll have an CES Engadget widget on the AOL Blogs main page:

Engadget widget

Just so you know, I don't write that copy -- it is unlikely, for example, that you will ever see me using the word "deets" (unless I'm talking about insect repellent).

Also FYI, if you can't be bothered with any of this, here's a cheat sheet to the three basic types of announcements you'll see about CES:

1. The phones get smaller.
2. The screens get bigger.
3. The computers get faster.

One last thing -- we seem to be having some problems with the CSS (Cascading Style Sheets -- they control the look of a Web page) on some of the People Connection pages, including the AOL Blogs main page.

Apparently, there was a CSS change that affected a few things, including a problem that's causing photos to bleed up into the headers:

CSS screenshot

This problem does not affect AOL Journals in any way, and should hopefully be fixed soon.

Also, it's only appearing in Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers (like the one that is part of the AOL software) -- Firefox browser is unaffected, which is where I took the CES widget screenshot. I haven't checked with Netscape or other browsers.

CSS can be funny that way -- I will probably be talking more about CSS problems on different browser types later in the week.

Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

''Anti-matter injector technology'' sounds like a female contraceptive metaphor.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe. Remember me? The one that was getting two of every comments? Well I fixed that and it is fine. But...when I click on the alert me thing in a new journal , I go to the manage alerts, I find something I don't like. In the edit alerts, the Online is checked and so is Archive. I have it fixed so that I only get email alerts. No AIM, no whatever. Just email! I checked it and even re-did it and the new journals still do that. I have to go into the edit alerts and uncheck the two and check the email. That is a pain. Help! Joe....is someone mad at me? Is it haunted? Eek?

Anonymous said...

It is crazy to me how you can go from "Hello Kitty" to this ... talent Joe. I am not a gadget kinda girl (too bad) but if I find a friend that is I will ask them if this is their heaven. lol

Brandi

Anonymous said...

cool beans Joe! Interesting stuff
natalie

Anonymous said...

Now that <a href="http://www.calacanis.com/2006/01/04/engadgetbot/">Jason has announced the Engadget Bot</a> I think I can start telling folks about it.

I <a href="http://dossy.org/archives/000206.html">blogged a quick write-up about it</a> with some really brief instructions on how to get it to send you IM alerts about new Engadget articles, especially useful for up-to-the-minute updates on CES.