Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Busted for Blogging (Again)

People Connection Grammarian Marian, a continual thorn in my side since she's one of the AOL Style enforcers (look, here's a nonconforming ellipsis... and another one... and another one... !!!!! Ooh, look that was multiple exclamation marks! And look, now I'm dilberately misspelling words!), sent this news item in for the "busted for blogging file":

A reporter for the Dover [Delaware] Post was fired after his bosses were tipped to his MySpace blog, which contained statements that the newspaper would rather not be associated with.

Now, before you go shouting "free speech, free speech", keep in mind that the newspaper, even if it is a beneficiary of free speech and freedom of the press, is still a private business; Delaware is apparently not a "Right to Work" state, and I am not up on Delaware labor law, but in many states, private business can fire you for any reason at all, unless you're a member of a protected class.

Guess what -- "blogger" is not a protected class.

Also, please note that "I was only kidding" is not necessarily a viable defense.

Anyway, "your boss" continues to be on a list of people whom you might not want to see your blog (either now or in the future). It's an ever-growing list, including:
  • Your Parents
  • Your College Admissions Officer
  • Your Judge, District Attorney and/or Parole Officer
  • Your Future Employers
  • Your Future Constituents
Thanks -- Joe


Tag:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Delawarean and although it's true an employer can fire you for any reason including simply scratching your nose, you also have the right to sue that employer. I personally know of a lady who won her case. You may also file for unemployment after being fired. Of course, that doesn't mean your employer won't contest but the employer may not win either:)
Dianna
PS Marian is correct regarding the ellipsis but I'm sitting here laughing!!!  
Dianna

Anonymous said...

It is my understanding that in most stares, they can fire you for anything at all.  Weird. I think that MySpace deal is nothing but trouble. I have never heard anything good about it.

andi

Anonymous said...


Now, that's cute, informative entertainment, Joe. I love it (And, since your previous educational entry, have modified my use of the 'ellipsis'). Thanks ...

After what I've experienced with him, I still can't for the life of me imagine why unethical, money-hungry AOL wastes additional money on John Scalzi, when in my opinion, you're much more sincere, cordial, unpretentious, and edifying.

I think that they should kick, John, to the often uninteresting, e-mail box filling, extravagant-waste curb, give 'you' (them) a money-saving raise (or, NOT, knowing them), and designate you as their considerably more proficient, multitasking, journals editor and representative blogger.

... It's not like you'd have to do anything more, than you're already doing.

~Brian
http://thelovetrain.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

wow
nat

Anonymous said...

Brian: I disagree with your assessment and I ask that you please refrain from making personal attacks on people on my blog.  Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...


My assessments don't require your validation, Joe.

Moreover, I didn't make a personal attack on "people". I stated my opinion concerning one AOL representative based on personal experience with him and the unsatisfactory service that he rendered, which on more than one occasion was highly inadequate ... Mind you, that's the ICING on top of everyday displeasing cake.

Clue: This isn't a subscriber's personal journal, though if AOL allows you to utilize it as such, simply hit your block button if you don't like it. It certainly won't break my heart, but it will give me one more negative thing to advertise about AOL (and their journals editor), when I'm in the mood.

Keep it up, Joe. Perhaps you'll both make it into the AOL corporate ranks one year. I can see that you, too, are seemingly bucking for it.

~Thanks, Brian

http://thelovetrain.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That's why my employer is called Unnamed Largish Company in my blog.  Even at that, I say very little about ULC, positive or negative.  I don't actually have any complaints, but if I did I wouldn't express them online.  Plus there's the issue of non-disclosure agreements.  A list of my duties would probably not be considered a company secret, but why test the boundaries of that sort of thing?

Karen
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2006/01/burning-down-house-part-one.html

Anonymous said...

I personally think MySpace is tacky, though I like the social media aspect.  But, due to many things you mentioned in your entry (but not because of you):
A. I don't blog about my job
2. I do blog about television
C. I feel free to use creative grammar to voice my individuality in this sea of cyberspace
4. I have an unlisted phone number  ;-)

--Jackie  
http://jackiestvblog.blogspot.com/
http://notweirdeccentric.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Abso-f**king-lutely ALWAYS have dirt on your employer. The school that fired me is no longer in operation.