Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Man of Letters?

Hi folks -- So, if you're a regular reader of Digg, you'll see that digital photo editing tips, tricks and tutorials are pretty popular topics, so they pop up fairly regularly.

The other day, I came across a neat Photoshop Tutorial on How to Create a Text Montage. You've probably seen the effect before. I thought I would give it a shot.

The instructions are specific to recent versions of Photoshop, though you can probably find similar functionality in other graphics programs, including the free alternatives I've mentioned before.

Anyway, it took me a little longer than I planned, and my nose seems to have disappeared, but I wouldn't say it's horrible for a first try:

Joe, in letters

For the text (which you can't really read anymore), I grabbed the content from my most recent blog entries.

Here's the source pic:

Joe, source pic

Just so that you know I'm not a complete narcissist, I originally took the source photo to show off the wicked cowlick I had on the front of my head.

If you do your own text montage pic, post a link to the comments so we can check it out.

Thanks -- Joe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

I"m old school! I do abstract painting mainly line drawings and level one ! I"ve advanced to maybe eight grade technique but i have 56 year old emotions that can do a five year old , this is my special talent! That's not important ! Find a photograph that inspires you, i found one five years ago and i knew i would attempt to draw it someday but i didn't know when!It' a picture from the chicago tribune two blue curtains on each side , royal blue, black background, a mother holding a child crying . "Akosovar albanianholds her crying child near Blace, Macedonia. Well I thought one day i would attempt to get past eight grade drawing technique and it took five years before it kicked in! I went toscientific american and bought one tube of royal blue oil paint, one tube of brown oil paint , six paint brushes, one square of watercolor paints which i have been accustomed too. LOO and behold that one picture , it took five years but the inspiration finally arrived with the grace of God and i used six paint brushes and painted eighteen pictures , no masterpieces, but a powerful improvemment with emotion and beauty with two colors, brown and royal blue  and mixing them at times gave an impression of red.l I surprised myself , i did some water colors and everything turned out right for me for once in my life. One picture from the chicago tribune mother and child and i knew , but five years later . that's not knowing nothing. A beautiful surprise from God and i wonder if  it could happen for one of your attempts! dont let time destroy or remove an inspiration , faith and patience pay off when you never stop believing! I need to buy a digital camera , it's not the the perfection , its the emotion, story and sharing of the journey that led to  a personal best creative spark in abstract painting!