Friday, January 20, 2006

Fixed: File Uploading Via Keyword: FTP (Other Methods OK)

Morning folks -- bloggers Lori and Brandi have both written to me to let me know that file uploading via Keyword: FTP is broken right now. [Update: Problem is fixed, see below.]

I've checked and confirmed it -- when you try upload a file, you will see a dialog box that says "Cannot make local file (contact FTPAdmin)":

FTP Error Screenshot

The FTP folks know about this and are working on it.

The good news, however, is as you can see from the photo above, the Web-based File Manager is still working, which should work fine for uploading files (as long as they're under 500K) -- check out my step-by-step instructions on how to use the Web-based File Manager, as well as my tutorial on how to use the File Manager to Add Photos to your blog.

If you use a standalone, 3rd-party FTP client over your AOL connection, that appears to work fine, as well.

I will post updates when I get them.

[Update, 10:44am ET: File uploading via Keyword FTP is now fixed. Word is that there was a bad config change on one of the servers. We should be okay now. Thanks -- Joe]

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

DO you happen to know of another way to upload music? FTP was the ONLY way I know of. The web based file does not seem to allow it. Thanks for contating admin.

Anonymous said...

To upload files over 500K to your AOL FTP space, you can use a freeware or shareware FTP program over your AOL connection -- here's how to do that --http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/446

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Brandi should get free AOL just for putting up that "how to add music to your blog" entry.

Anonymous said...

Have you not delete your file? Try saving your file or maybe click onto the icons from there & see if you can double-click on top. Or try going back to the main menu & retry that part that you missed okay? I hope that it will work out okay? (if I am not mistaken)
Rein:)

Anonymous said...

thanks Joe
nat

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, since you're talking FTP, is there ANY top-secret way to delete/move more than one file at a time?  You know, like ctrl/click to highlight several files before zapping them.  Deleting them via the web-based file manager is a real PITA, even though I understand the multiple steps prevents accidential deletion.  I want to clear out about half of mine, but I'm going to be on social security before I finish it.

Just askin'.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer -- the best way to do batch file moves or deletes (that I know of) is to use an external FTP client over your AOL connection.

You can see my instructions on how to do this here:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/446

Thanks,

Joe (posted & mailed)