Friday, January 13, 2006

A Stunning Display of Hypocrisy

In a shocking moment of clarity, I just realized that I don't leave as many comments as I should in the blogs I visit -- especially the ones that I link from this blog and in the other areas I publish to.

Leaving comments in people's blogs is important -- not only does it let the author know that you saw what they wrote and how you felt about it, but it also helps to keep the conversation going (especially when you provide a link back to your blog).

Now, of course, it doesn't mean you should comment in every entry in every blog you see -- that's pretty much spam. But if you have something substantive to add -- if you agreed, disagreed, or even if you didn't understand what the author was saying, let them know.

I will have to work on this.

Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Joe. You know, it took me about three months to discover that I didn't need an invitation to visit another person's blog. When I first began my blog in August, I peeked at a few journals randomly, and didn't even think to leave comments. I thought the comments were from people the journaler knew, like family and friends. Someone they talked to on the phone. Then, I didn't visit for two months because it felt weird reading other people's journals. The first time I remember actually visiting and leaving a comment in someone's journal was after John or you had left an assignment, and I participated. I left my link and the next thing I knew, I had comments from Penny and Robin and Lori, to name a few. So I visited their journals, and left comments. It's been fun having these conversations that often develop into lengthy emails. AOL journalers are a friendly bunch! They do become friends. Bea

Anonymous said...

Geesh, moments like this are why I DON'T comment often. I read the entry, have something to say . . . then freeze once I start to write the comment. Hope you do better than I do.

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Joseph,
good points; without dialogue blogs are relatively flat
nat

Anonymous said...

h