Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What Blogging Isn't (Featuring the World's Worst Blog)

David Weinberger, co-author of 'The Cluetrain Manifesto' is giving the keynote right now. Just on the screen was his example of The World's Worst Blog.


It's pretty bad. The amazing thing to me isn't how bad it is -- it's that someone thought that it was a good idea.


[Update: The World's Worst Blog was finally retired a few weeks
after this entry was originally posted. Since you can't see it, here
are some of the reasons why it was the World's Worst Blog:



* It wasn't actually a blog. Their whole site was a big Flash mess.
They had a section that was called a blog, but it just had some dated
entries. There were no comments, no external links, no interaction with
readers and visitors. It was clear that some marketing folks wanted to
cash in on a hot term, "blogging" they read about somewhere, without
understanding the implications.



* The "blog's" entries were obviously some marketing committee's
creation
, describing the psychotic behavior the author purportedly did
to acquire that particular brand of gum. In the comments to the entry in BusinessWeek's BlogSpotting blog,
some posters suggested the name "flogs", to describe fake blogs set up
to shill for a product. This violates one of the cardinal rules of
blogging, authenticity.



* The primary interaction on the "blog" was a "game" (sorry for all the
quotes, but you'll see why I used them in a second) that consisted of
having the user click and hold their mouse button over a particular
spot on the screen. It was the online version of one of those "keep one
hand on the car" contest, only without the payoff of a car at the end.



* Now, I agree that people were piling on a little -- it wasn't really
that big of a deal -- there's a lot of stupid marketing out there, and
if people were talking about the site, that's something right there. It
was just kind of annoying to bloggers to see someone slap a label of
"blog" on something that obviously wasn't, just to get a little cachet
from it.]



There are a few lessons that can be taken from this -- obviously, not
all subject matter might be suitable for blogging. Then again,
marketers are a pretty creative bunch -- if they can position their
products as representative of a specific lifestyle, maybe they can
build a blog (or something interesting to the blog world) around that.



From the BlogOn conference, an
example mentioned was from the TAG Body Spray people (or was it Axe?) -- they are
essentially selling deodorant, but their TV commericals and online
presence are all about an aspirational lifestyle -- they say, if you use our spray deodorant, you'll pick up girls.



Not sure where the hook for gum is, but there's got to be something better than what they had.]


Thanks -- Joe.




Technorati tag:

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, my edit button has disappeared. Gone. Unable to edit my journal. Last night I deleted to edit and was frustrated. A friend tells me his hit counter disappeared as well.
Frustrated,
Dianna
 http://journals.aol.com/sazzylilsmartazz/TheHellaciousHereticPart2/;jsessionid=1C9B7C5F1A90C3197CF0F49535E29B40

Anonymous said...

"What Blogging Isn't," I just addressed below in your journal in your post:

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/725

Gabreael

http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

http://journals.aol.com/eparanormal/EasternParanormal/

Anonymous said...

We have worse blogs than this right here on campus. I have about 5 that I rubberneck about once weekly. I won't out anyone, and it's all subjective.... but I see far worse all the time.

I actually liked "Day 40," which sort of didn't go: "I wiped out on my skateboard. I drove my own shattered forearm into my ribcage, but I didn't spit out my Juicy Fruit© gum." Shameless, bloody plug.

Anonymous said...

That's one bad blog.
AOL has walked down that path with some it's marketing. A few months back there was a AIM viral video marketing thing. A few of the videos had Journals associated with them. Funny in that while the Journals updated, not a single one bothered to customize the look of the Jounal. Cookie cutter Journals.

Anonymous said...

the worst blogs are the ones that recall every boring  trivial detail of a persons day, ugh , spare me please, I delte and move on! I do NOT need to know your cat barfed 5 times!
~Julie

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah!  I would really set my alerts to catch the latest Juicy Fruit entry!  What were they thinking?  Even young children are too savvy to enjoy this marketing ploy.  

Donna

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
((Joe)))
It sounds like you're doing all the good and learning tons! Sharing is great! I loved Shell's blog
natalie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Now, now -- it's just a monument to the ability of an ad-wo/man to convince their client that their vision will be a hit. Nothing any other flim-flammer couldn't accomplish.

Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for blogs I'd lose my mind. It's a confidence booster and I can see you need that so maybe you should just check it out before you comment and say something that just may burn a bridge for you. *Amy

Anonymous said...

strange....
nat

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't get it. The link just directed me to the Juicy Fruit gum web site featuring their latest commercial. I saw it on TV the other day.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, your right, it's not what we expect when we blog search, it's lame. I requires no opinion, sparks no emotion, other than boredom and confusion, and to be honest isn't worth waiting for it to load,.......but we all waited didn't we? You have to give kudos where kudos are due. 14 people so far are having a conversation about their product, including one well known author, and that's just on AOL. The next time were standing in a line at the store, it may just hit us, we need a pak of Juicy fruit. Call it lame, I call it clever marketing.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it, either.

What's so bad about it? It's just a Juicy Fruit ad or something.

Anonymous said...

Why did it take me to a juicy fruit web site?  That's just strange.

Anonymous said...

Hi folks -- thanks for reminding me -- I updated the post with new info.

Thanks -- Joe