Friday, October 28, 2005

How to Lose Unwanted Inches From Your Blog

So earlier today, Journaler Dee asked me about a
problem she was having with her blog, Dear
Diary
. Something she had put in one of her recent entries was
breaking the layout of her Journal, causing it to become too
wide.


Now, "too wide" is a subjective
thing, but in most cases, if you have a horizontal scroll
bar
(so you have to scroll from side to side in order to see
the content on the page), then your page is probably too
wide.

In most cases, it's because of a
photo is wider than the page layout and/or browser
window will allow.

In other cases, a really
long URL
or other unbroken line of text
will cause do it.

I took at look at Dee's blog, and
saw that in one
of her entries
, there was a long string of non-breaking
spaces at the end of one of the lines. [Update: Nonbreaking spaces are spaces that by definition won't break to the next line, so they keep going and going. This can push out the edge of a page area.  If you look in HTML view, nonbreaking spaces look like this:     ]

She took the spaces
out, and her Journal returned to its normal
width.

If you ever have a problem where your Journal
gets extra wide when you don't want it to,
try the following:


* Look at your
most recent entries, or think back to when you
started seeing the problem, and look at the entries you posted or
edited around that time.

* Check the width
of the photos
;

the non-scrolling maximum will depend on the number of columns you use

for your Journal; for a three-column Journal (that is, 2 sidebars and
a

center column), a safe maximum is 550 pixels (remember that your

readers may not have monitors as wide or resolutions as high as
yours).

* If it's not the photos, it will have to be
the text. Scroll all the way to the right of the
page and look for anything that sticks out.

* If
nothing is immediately obvious, it might be extra spaces at
the end of a line.


In the edit window of your blog's entry, click and drag the text with

your mouse and look for extra spaces at the end of a line. (You can

also check the HTML view -- change the pull-down menu in the
formatting

tool bar from "Text" to "HTML" to see the HTML
tags.)


* Just added: If all else fails, try looking at the HTML source code
for the entire page. You can do this typically (using Internet Explorer
on Windows) by right-clicking on a blank area of the the blog page
that's too wide, and choosing "View Source." This will show you all the text and HTML tags that makes up your page.


Even if you don't understand it, you can usually see what's making your
page too wide -- just scroll all the way to the right, and scroll down
until you see characters.  Then, look around for some of the
accompanying text so you can figure out what section it's in, so you
can go back and change it.

Hope this helps. -- Joe


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am learning so much from you. Thank you friend.

Anonymous said...

Joe has all the answers about journal issues and they are free of charge. He is a first class techwizard. Did I also mention that he answers his e-mails promptly? I still have to hear from another AOL techgod I e-mailed when I started having my "widening" problem. Yup, JOE is THE MAN!!! Thanks again for helping me.
-Dee

Anonymous said...

Could you pass this along to whoever creates the new-entry alerts?  Because I have to scroll horizontally to be able to read those, too.  Major annoyance.

Anonymous said...

Elleme2: You're right, I hadn't realized that. I will pass that along to my Alerts contact. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

two words: THANK YOU!!!.....

Anonymous said...

Hi jo,
       Deb sent me over from her journal, i am having a bit of bother with my journal. its gone wide on me, i tried your advice looking for recent entries and deleted what i thought it might be, but its still the same. if i look at my previous entries its a normal text, please help i have not got a clue what i have done wrong and how to fix it. i was going to delete all my entries and start again,do you think this might be the right course of action, im not tech minded at all.
thanks. katie.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/katie39041/KATIESDIARY/

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe! I just noticed this older entry of yours which covers the same problem I had when I was putting together my own Journal:
http://journals.aol.com/absolutangermgmt/AbsolutMadness/

I wasn't sure what was causing the problem, so I just copied and pasted the whole text entry into a blank word document. Then I set my right margin to around 4", made sure it was formated to wrap the text, then (after deleting the original, too-wide text on my blog editor) I just copied and pasted it back in there with the new format. Bingo! Worked like a charm and only took about 1 minute. You are welcome to view, comment and critique.

Anonymous said...

I found this entry and hoped you can help me with just the opposite problem. My page doesn't go wide enough. I've looked through some of the help guide, but have not found the answer to this question.

Visitors to my page only see about half of the screen filled. So, as I add things to it, it becomes very vertical and I have a lot of wasted space on the right side of the screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary
nicholls11

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary -- I am unable to find any blogs under your screen name. Can you please send me the address so I can take a look?

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Joe, I'm having the same problem, my journal is too wide.  I looked at all the codes but not sure if I can tell where the problem is.  Can you help?  
http://journals.aol.com/dancingcowgirl2/proud-army-wife/
Also, it seems like I have to shrink down the graphics/pictures to get the width smaller but then the picture looks funny.  What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm not positive, but I think the problem lies in a bunch of nonbreaking spaces in this entry:
http://journals.aol.com/dancingcowgirl2/proud-army-wife/entries/2006/07/30/the-soldier/24

If you look in the HTML view of the entry, nonbreaking spaces look like "nbsp;"

Regarding photos -- if you just "squish" them down, they can look funny. For example, in one of entries, you've got an original photo ( http://hometown.aol.com/Dancingcowgirl2/NTC.jpg ) that's 1446x1037, which is huge; the space on the page (as defined by the height & width tags) is 186x131.

If you want to control how your photos look in the page, you will probably want to take your original photo, crop or resize it down to a smaller size (you can use MS Paint, Irfanview -- http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/07/18/a-stunning-reversal/1552 -- , or another program), upload it, then include that photo in your Journal.

The AOL Pictures integration will also let you pick automatically resized photos, as well -- http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/06/21/adding-photos-to-your-journal-with-aol-pictures-permalinks/1501

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Hello Joe.  I am having the "Too Wide Problem too."  if you scroll down on my Journal, right about where the dancing girls are on the left siedbar.......there is an extra area of sidebar.  I don't know how it got there but I have not been able to get rid of it.   Any suggestions.      Marlene
                    http://journals.aol.com/domsmom27/one-day-at-a-time