Tuesday, October 25, 2005

A Completely Specious Look at Your Blog's Value


   
    My
blog
is worth $88,068.24.

How
much is your blog worth?



See the
widget above? I got it from the Business Opportunities
Weblog
, which was linked in from a bunch of places today. It
says that this here Magic Smoke blog is worth a cool 88
large.


How'd they determine that number?
Let's back up a step.

As you
recall, about two weeks ago, AOL announced that it was buying Weblogs, Inc., a blog
content network of about 80 blogs, including Engadget, Slashfood and Luxist.




I hadn't talked about it here to date because there's not going to be
a

lot that really impacts the regular Journaler. (You'll probably start

seeing more contextual content links to blogs in the Weblogs, Inc.

network, but that's about it.)

(Incidently, I'm
going to keep referring to it as the Weblogs, Inc. network, because
there's another company called Weblogs [no Inc.], and they
got bought by VeriSign
shortly after the Weblogs, Inc. deal. The two companies do completely different things.)

Anyway, the price that
AOL paid was reported in the press as anywhere from $20 to $40
million
(don't ask me, because I don't know).


Using those numbers as a baseline, an intrepid blogger,
Tristan Louis,
counted the number of links to each blog as listed by Technorati, then crunched
some numbers to figure out the value
of the deal on a per-link basis.
 


For example,

if the acquisition price was $25 million dollars, and there were
44,276

links pointing to all the blogs in the Weblogs, Inc. Network, then the

price per link was $564.64.

Skip forward to now,
when blogger Dane
Carlson
took the info that Mr. Louis did, and created a
widget


that looks at the number of links to your blog, then assigns a dollar

value to your blog based on the per-link value from the Weblogs, Inc.

deal, and outputs it in HTML code that you can paste into your
blog.

As I said in the header, it's a completely
specious
way of assigning a dollar value to your blog, but it is kind of fun. --
Joe

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine is worth $66,051.18
Reminds me of BlogShares!

Anonymous said...

Mine is worth 0.00 since no one can get into it because of the AOL problems with private journals.  LOL!
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Your blog, The Hellacious Heretic Goes A Muse Ing , is worth $0.00  LMAO

Dianna


Anonymous said...

I tried this several times over a period of a couple of days last week, and got 0.00 every time.  Broken widget!

Trying again...

Your blog, journals.aol.com/mavarin/MusingsfromMavarin/, is worth $32,743.32

Ah, that's better!

Karen

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Sorry folks, Technorati search only works on public Journals -- not sure why it wouldn't be working on a public Journal, though. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Who do I call down there to collect my 20 grand?

Anonymous said...

Does this work essentially like putting a $ sign in front of your "times visited" counter, or is it weighted somehow?

Anonymous said...

wow .smiling and I know  Joe!
natalie

Anonymous said...

Well, I tried it and my blog is worth absolutely nothing, zilch, zero.

On a completely different subject. What the hell has happened to alerts?  These new styles ones are horrible.  The print is so small you can hardly read them. There are a lot of older bloggers out here and I have read many complaints about them today. There was nothing wrong with the old style alerts.  What we want is alerts that WORK. I have been getting no comment alerts for days now.  So please, Joe, try and get something done for us.  Alerts need to be working and no so hit and miss but we also need to be able to READ them.  There, I have got that off my chest.  Hope you are having a good week.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

So who is the idiot who changed the alerts cos I for one do not like them and I know many others don't! I am not old but I am not very well sighted and these new alerts are lousy!!!!! Please can they be put back to the old style, at least we could read them then!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jeannette here. The new alerts are very clean and neat looking but the writing is way too small. I now have to hunt where to click. I don't have a problem reading it but there are a lot of people out there that have problems reading the small print. They need to work on it.

Anonymous said...

I love this widget and was pleased to see the value of my blog was worth roughly 1/4 the value of yours ($22K+) which I consider to be a decent showing.  LOL  I am posting it on Ebay with a minimum bid of $8,000.  I think that is reasonable, don't you?  On a more serious note, I know that change is always a little tough for us on AOL, but I have to add my sentiments that the print on the new Alerts is absolutely too small.  Back to the drawing board, please!

Anonymous said...

I AGREE-way to small!~Diane~

Anonymous said...

This is very cool. My blog is worth about $5K. But of course I think it is priceless.

Shari
spaces.msn.com/members/sharisrantsandraves

Anonymous said...

My Blogs worth???  I participated in the Blog value, prior to finding my value must be worth zip, because now AOL is using a banner to advertise on my journal and all journals.  I am furious.  I have maintained AOL accounts since the time they were charging per minute.  I have maintained quietly a journal since August, of 2003.  I remember AOL stating they were decreasing the Ad space an AOL user was forced to deal with.  That is why we pay good money, each and every month.  I am very angry and feel my "privacy" has been invaded.  Where can we write to complain???  Just livid!

Anonymous said...

I think my blog was worth a lot more than now! It has had the same Bank of America ad on for more than a week, and I think the ad has fried it, since I can't add new posts since it appeared. Phooey on the ad, phooey on journals that won't let you journal, and phooey on aol for not having a link to ask someone for help in fixing them!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I am new to the world of bloging. As soon as I can figure this out I will check my blogs worth. Very interesting idea!  
http://journals.aol.com/rviorla1/PLANTATIONEDUCATIONFORAMERICASMI/