Friday, October 7, 2005

Adding Online Presence to Your Blog

Okay, so it was announced today

that bloggers of all sorts tell people visiting their blogs if they're

online or not, just by adding one line of HTML code to their blogs.

This is called AIM Presence (it works for AOL,
too).

Previously, there were ways to tell your
blog's visitors that you were online, but they were a little roundabout
(or kludgy).

Now, all you
have to do is go to the AIM Presence page, http://www.aim.com/presence/main.adp, and
follow the instructions (they're pretty good, which I can say even though I
didn't write them).



Here's how you add the AIM Presence indicator to your AOL Journal or
AIM Blog:



1. First, complete the registration
form
on the AIM Presence Web page.

2.

When you've completed registration, you'll get a screen that includes

the HTML code you'll want to add to your "All About Me" section.
Select

this with your mouse and hit Control-C (or right-click) to copy
it:

Adding Presence 1

3.


Go to your Journal's "All About Me" section, and click Edit; when you

get to the Edit screen, you should see contents of your About Me

section. By default, it will show the Text view; you
want to grab that pulldown and select
HTML:

Adding<br />Presence 2

4.
This will change your pretty About Me text view to the not-so-pretty
HTML code view.

Adding Presence 3

5.
Paste the HTML code you copied in step 2 into your About Me box. I put
mine at the end:

Adding Presence 4

6.
Hit Save; you should see a little gif that will light up if you're
online (it will show a little note if you're "away",
etc):

Adding Presence 5

That's


online presence. You can also add words around the little icon. When people

click the icon whenyou're online, it will open up an AIM IM window to

you.

Please note:

I haven't tested this all the way through, but if you're blocking

people on your Buddy List, it's not going to work. Please see the AIM
Presence FAQ
for more information about known issues, privacy
questions, help and more (feel free to skip the really technical parts).

Also
note:


If you're uncomfortable with letting people know you're online by

reading your blog, don't worry -- you don't have to do
anything.

Anyway, that's it for now. It's 10/7;
coincidentally, in Police 10-Codes,

10/7 is "Out of Service", so I am going to go out of commission now
and

blog some more later. Thanks and have a great weekend. -- Joe


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Groovy-Cool, Joe!  I added it just now, no problem at all!

We shall see...


http://journals.aol.com/artloner/SheSaidWhat/

:)

andi

Anonymous said...

it's a fun new thing, but REALLY  we need more room in that box!!! I had to take out my pic and one other thing, GIVE US MORE  CHARACTER SPACES!!!!
Please
~Julie  

Anonymous said...

Neat! Now all you guys have to do is increase the character limit in the About Me section so I can add more stuff! LOL

Anonymous said...

A great idea but All About Me will not let me add anymore.  Please, more space, pretty please!!!

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/Family

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I 14th the motion for more space!

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

cool joe! natalie

Anonymous said...

Joe can you help me with AOL. I find that even if I call or e-mail anyone through AOL I receive no response. I purshased a Dell computer in May of 2005 in which I was told that  would receive 6 months free, yet AOL still after speaking to 3 people, e-mailing AOL and calling, my response zero. One of the insentives was because I could get 6 months free in which would help me through going back to school after 32 years.

As I see it, AOL offers this yet refuses to help get what they offer. I am at a point that I will discontinue AOL and go to someone that honors their agreements. All I need is an explanation onwhy AOL has one of the worse customer-service programs existing today.

I guess if I had someone to pay the bills for me it would not be an interest but I have been a single mother for 20 years with a person who felt that it was not their responsibilty to help raise my child. Okay, I can only accept that because it comes back to haunt him. He has no idea what he has missed out on and can never claim any part of her. That she will make sure of. I know that is nothing of your matter but when you have a company that offer someone a discount yet refuses to aknowledge it is not saying much about your owner who is worth billions. aMr Gates must have totally forgotten how hard it is to survive in the world.

Please can you tell me, WHY I CAN NOT HAVE THE 6 MONTHS FREE? IF THIS DA HOAX? i DO PLAN TO SPEAK TO MANY PEOPLE THAT  KNOW THAT HAVE AOL AND TRY TO FIND A HONERABLE COMPANY.

Thank you for just listening me my beef.

Sincerely;

Judi Stapleton

Anonymous said...

Followed your instructions and it worked just great!  But alas, I too had to remove some stuff to be able to add it!


Rose
http://journals.aol.com/roseb44170/RosesJournal

Anonymous said...

Oh heck, I'd do it but that would mean I'd have to take out the pretty little items I have already placed in that side bar.  We need more space!  I'm also wondering how it is other journalers are able to place so many graphics and text in the side bars while others cannot.

It's a nice idea, but not something I'm desperate to have.  Just more space please.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Joe. This coming from a not-so-savy computer person. Your directions were easy to follow. Now I have a little yellow guy in my About Me box, and wonder how its presence will affect my on-lne activity... anyway, I'm curious. Also, I've been reading your tips and other information for the first time today, and find it all very practical and relevant to myself, a new blogger.