Thursday, October 27, 2005

How NOT To Add Photos

[June 2006 Update: So, the AOL Pictures team went in and implemented permalinks, so this entry is pretty much moot. See my entry on how you can use AOL Pictures permalinks to put big pictures in your blog.]

Hi folks...here's a question that I get pretty regularly: "I
put some photos in my Journal, and now they're gone! Where'd they go? I
hate you: You suck!"
(The last part is usually implied, if
not explicitly stated.)

The usual reason that this
happens involves doing something with AOL Pictures (neƩ YGP) that
you're not supposed to do, in the sense that the
product folks never thought people would try to do this, so they didn't
plan for it.

Now, let me stress that it's
not your fault
, it's our fault because we
don't tell you that you're not supposed to use the product this way, so
you do it and it works -- for a little bit.

Here's
what happens:

1. A Journaler uploads a
photo
to their AOL Pictures album and they
want to put that photo in their Journal (either in their "All About Me"
area or in an entry), but they don't want the AOL
Pictures border or frame around the picture.

2. So, what they do is look at the picture displayed in their
album, then they right-click and hit "Copy Image
Location":



The
URL will be long and ugly and it will look something
like this:
http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/003/6B/45/DB/9B/KA... 
(trimmed because it's making the page too wide; it's that long) -- it's a direct link to the photo of a duct that's in one of my
albums. (Note that this link will stop working after
a while -- could be days, weeks or months, but it will eventually stop
working)

3. Then, having copied the photo's
URL
, they will go to create or edit their Journal entry, hit
the little camera button

in the formatting toolbar (which is for adding images to your blog,

without the border -- all you need is to paste in the photo's

location), and paste in the photo's URL that they
copied:


Pasting the URL


4.
Success! Until the image disappears later on, that
is.

The problem with inserting
photos in this way is that the image location URLs for the photos in
your albums aren't permanent, static URLs; they can
change over time as files are migrated, new servers are added, etc.




The photos will still be in your album, they'll just have a
different address, and because the address changed,
it will disappear from your
blog.

Why does this happen? I
think it's because it's a legacy architecture, which
is to say that it was designed that way -- it works fine if you're just
using it to share photo albums, but it doesn't work
so good if you're trying to use it for hosting
images
in your Web page or blog -- it just wasn't designed
for it.

Obviously, we want the AOL Pictures and
Journals products to play nice together, so we're
going to try to find ways to fix this experience, involving proxies or
pointers or guys with clipboards or something.

This just in: Check out this entry on the AOL Pictures blog about permalinks -- that sounds about like what we want.

In
the meantime, what you should do to ensure that this doesn't
happen to you?


The best
way
is to upload your photo to your FTP
space using the File
Manager
(check out my tutorial
on using File Manager
), copy the image
location after you've uploaded it to your FTP space,
and paste it in using the camera button
method
(#3 above).

Hope this all makes
sense.  Also, you might want to check out the AOL Pictures
blog, which is AOL Pictures
- Tips & Tricks.


Thanks, talk to
you later. -- Joe




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

You mean it was "implied" that you suck?  LOL!  I think they aren't referring to you, just the company.  Hee-hee.  Anyway, I use www.photobucket.com and have NEVER had a problem and I have over 300 photos stored in there right now.  AOL pics take way too long for me.
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing that little photo mystery out. And explaining it too! I skip that part and move folks onto success with the uploading of their photos.

I was going to comment on the YGP Journal on that, but then I found myself posting a few message board pointers about how to add a Journal URL to a mb post. Most folks can juggle a URL, but it can take a while to see them do it with ease. No idea how YGP can come up with a potrtable single image URL that Journalers can easily import.

File Manager arrival has made things much easier in terms of photos. Honestly I kinda think YGPs Journal best hope might be some type of Journal sidebar widgit that grants access to a few listed/selected albums much like the e-mail share link can.


Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

OMG...I just found this entry...and this is SO me.  I've gotten quite a few readers upset with me...or confused...as was I.   Thanks so much...now I just need to learn the correct way!!
Wish me luck...
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Check out this blog entry (http://journals.aol.com/aolpictures/AOLPictures/entries/1209) to see how you can put your photos on AOL Pictures, and get permalinks that can be used in journals (or other places).

Anonymous said...

Hi William -- thanks for the heads-up: I did a preview mention of permalinks on Friday; I will do a full entry this week, and edit these other entries. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I apologize in advance that this is kind of long.  
I'm confused.  I put my pictures in the normal way by uploading them into the place designed for pictures. I am assuming it was done that way on other journals.  I could view all of the images in my album.  However, when I went to visit other aol journals, I could only view the first picture in their album, which would say 1 of ___.  However, I wasn't able to turn the page.  So, concerned others would have the same problem with my journal, I did a simple copy and paste from my online aol pictures albums to my journal text box. Are you saying my pictures will eventually disappear from my journal?  Or were you refering to a different problem with a specific type of computer or program?  I'm using Windows XP and AOL.

Anonymous said...

Hi Coleen,

We're talking about at least two separate things here:

1. If you copy the URL of the photo straight off the photo, WITHOUT using the permalinks, the photo will eventually not work, like I wrote about in this entry.

However, I just did the entry about how to use permalinks, so please check it out:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/1501

(Permalink photos start with the url http://links.pictures.aol.com -- the photos that aren't permanent start like http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/ )

2. The other way to add photos is to click the blue "Add Pictures" button, which will upload your pictures into a little thumbnail gallery module and embed it into your Journal. It's good for showing a progression of photos, but for singles and doubles that you want to embed with your text, it doesn't work as well.

If you're having problems seeing the photos of people who do use this method, you might be having browser problems -- try clearing your cache or rebooting your computer.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)