Monday, October 17, 2005

Corporations Trying to "Get" Blogging

The afternoon session of BlogOn has been interestingly...well, it's been interestingly two-sided.

The focus here is very much from the corporate point
of view; it's all about what companies should be doing with blogging
and social media in general, ranging from how to use blogs to actively
engage customers, to how to do damage control when a blogger
slams your company.

Suffice it to say, it's not at all like the focus on citizen journalism at the We Media conference a few weeks back.


For starters, there are a lot more public relations folks here.


Anyway, there are folks who get it, and folks who...don't.

Naturally, I like to think I fall into the "get it"camp
(in case you forgot, I'm a corporate blogger), but this is all still
evolving and I'm sure I'll hear about it if you think I
could do a better job. (That's one of the beauties of the blogosphere;
because of comments and criticism, it is, to some degree,
self-correcting.)

Anyway, on the one side, we had a viewpoint from the McDonalds corporation, which is veeery
gingerly getting into the blog space -- they're just getting started on
using blogs as a tool to communicate internally -- forget about trying
to do consumer-facing blogs.

I kind of felt bad for the speaker, Steve Wilson,
because he sounds like he's working really hard to change an
entrenched, old-school corporate culture. But it was kind of funny.

I was more surprised to hear CBS's Gil Schwartz; he was funny and engaging, but at some fundamental level, I just don't think he gets blogging.

On
the other side, there have been a bunch of folks advocating that
companies get fully engaged with blogs and other social media to talk
to customers, including Shel Israel (here's his blog),
a PR guy who says (I'm paraphrasing) that PR folks who don't adapt to
the blogosphere and social media should prepare for new careers in food
service.

I guess that's a new variation of "publish or perish."

Anyway,
there's tons and tons more stuff I could be writing about corporate
blogging or citizen journalism, but I don't know if this is interesting to you folks. (I haven't
even begun with the buzzwords.) Let me know in the comments. Thanks --
Joe.




Technorati tag:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm finding it very interesting, Joe.  Keep it coming. The blogospere moves so quickly we all need to keep up.  I'm looking forward to the latest buzzwords.  That will tell me how far I am behind the curve!

Donna
Dust Bunny Protector

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

oh do spill it! Who doesn't want the inside track on how industries are trying to sell us thier bill of goods and take my fav form of media (bloging) to do it.  I'd like to be prepared.

Anonymous said...

Well, change of topic but I can't edit my entries on my journal. Funny, I can edit previous entries but not new ones. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr It doesn't give me an option ... nado.
Dianna
http://journals.aol.com/sazzylilsmartazz/TheHellaciousHereticPart2/;jsessionid=1C9B7C5F1A90C3197CF0F49535E29B40

Anonymous said...

I find both corporate blogging and citizen journalism interesting. Blog on!

Anonymous said...

I don't go looking for corporate blogs, but in my limited experience, mostly with movie-related ones, someone starts the thing and then it lies fallow for weeks and months.  Unless there's a reason to stop back, people won't.

Anonymous said...

McDonald's should hire me... I'd have Kate Moss weighing 165 in no time.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm( gives Joe my serious look)
..sounds very drole.....corporations don't get us/ that is sad...
natalie