Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Dark Blogs (Internal Blogging)

Suw Charman (bio
| blog

-- she uses a funky spelling of Sue) just finished leading an

interesting discussion on companies using blogs (and other social
media

tools, like wikis) as internal communications tools. 
("Knowledge

management" is the associated buzzword, and apparently "KM" is the

acronym. I had not heard of it until yesterday.)

(As
an aside,

I'm not cut out to do liveblogging -- I blog at a more deliberate
pace.

I'm editing what I typed earlier, since we've moved on, so please

excuse any verb tense mismatches.)

First
off, while the

talk was geared to companies, a lot of the lessons can be extended to

any group, like a club, hobby group or team -- any kind of persistant

gathering that uses shared knowledge.

"Dark Blogs"
is Suw's term

(internal blogs is more commonly used) -- it refers to blogs that are

hidden from the blogosphere at large because they're private or

password-protected, because they're meant for a specific
audience.

The primary advantage to sharing
information with a blog, group blog, or wiki, is the
persistance of information:

The new stuff (or the latest edit, in the case of a wiki) is on top,

but all the older stuff is archived, accessible and directly

linkable.  It's stuff you can do if you save all your e-mails
and

documents, for example, only it's accessible to the entire group and

easy to update, annotate and search.



This is important to companies and their
institutional knowledge.

Companies like shared knowledge, so things don't grind to a halt when

someone goes on vacation. (The worst-case variation of this is usually

goes "God forbid, if so-and-so got hit by a
bus.
")

To use Suw's words, this preserves
the chain of communications -- you can see how ideas
originate and develop.  You get context.





Plus, you get to learn from your past mistakes (or at least see them),
and see what worked or didn't work in the
past.

Other

advantages to internal blogs are that you can have multiple authors

doing their thing without worrying that people are stepping on each

other's toes; people can provide feedback by adding comments; you can

use feedreaders or other tools to view the data; and generally
speaking, ease of publishing.

The other advantages are
less clear-cut

to me since they involve behaviors that grow out specific different

delivery mechanisms (e.g. reading an e-mail that's pushed to your

mailbox vs. filtering out blog posts to get to the relevant stuff) and

access controls and stuff like that. But it's easy to see the primary

win -- extending and preserving a group
conversation.


Anyway, if you're interested, here's a
case
study of internal blogging
at a European pharmaceutical
company, referenced in the talk (I haven't had a chance to read it
yet.)

(Oddly

enough, we don't do an incredible amount of internal blogging at AOL;

there are some wikis out there, but we could be doing
more.)

Thanks --
Joe.





Technorati tag:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got lost when you started getting technical, but...

Can I take my blog and allow people to access it with a password, even if I'm online? This would relate to a blog with multiple authors.

Anonymous said...

ummm ( thinks about meditating :) well good:):)
natalie

Anonymous said...

I like the term "dark blogs" as it's something that maybe there, just can't be seen.

AOL should blog more internally. Might help to bring things together. Some parts of the service seem so disconected from the other parts. I dunno.

Now you'll have to explain wikis. I know what they are, sorta. And I want one.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

huh..interesting!
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

Oh my godenhimmel!.. BLOG?  I just signed up for my free 2 months of AOL, diden't know about this how youcall BLOg  Bloggers blogging, oh to be one.  I filled my empty blog bio hole,  if you read it you will understand how I felt  to reolize that I could look into random blogg holes of others and the thereopy and health benifits of this word stuff, as any one on their 3rd (or is it 4th) step will tell you, can not be limited to the steril enviorment of my boxes of scraps.  I hope that the knowledge of a public exposeure of my sweaty and oh, personal bloginations will not effect the spirt an purity of my thoughts on the wind.
Thanks to who ever, the quality of experince and the health benifits I will recieve will far aout weigh the amount of money I have not and will never spend on counceling.
Rolfed riekieed and centered, I Bf Skinner off to bed wishing I could touch the Blog inside, some how not lonely, just alone.

Anonymous said...

Its often hard to blog about things in the company, due to the fact that many legal fine lines can be breached upon. One example, is just talking casually about department changes, can violate a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) that potentially is involved.

I blog, but after a press release hits, and whatnot, and just general commentary. Very rarely do I provide negative feedback about [our] company, but just focus on the positive side of things.

;)
http://journals.aol.com/josephmaaz/happenings/