Friday, December 30, 2005

Styles Sheet

So, last week, we got word handed down from the keepers of the AOL Style Guidelines that the way we write ellipses is changing.

Previously, we did an ellipsis as three dots, followed by a space... like that.

Now, we're supposed to do it as three dots, followed and preceded by a space ... like that.

It now conforms with the AP Stylebook, but I think it's silly and annoying and I don't like it.

Now, I know there's nothing more interesting than arguing about grammar, punctuation and other points of style. And the thing about writing styles is that there are so many to choose from -- many of them contradictory.

For example, for some reason, the New York Times, the Gray Lady, the Paper of Record, the newspaper with a lot of nicknames, insists on making acronyms plural by using apostrophes.

For example, to the rest of the world (ignoring blatant apostrophe abuse, which I will talk about more in a second), you get cash from ATMs, then go buy CDs.

In the NYT world, you instead get cash from ATM's, and then go buy CD's.

I think that this, too, is pretty silly, since the abuse and misuse of apostrophes has now reached epic proportions and I know that Bob the Angry Flower agrees with me:

Bob the Angry Flower

Anyway, the reason for all this writing styles talk is that I am writing the promo for the Guest Editor's picks, and used an ellipsis.

I wasn't planning on writing this entry. So I guess now I am further behind.

Thanks. -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaaa ... haaaaaaaaaaaa

andi

Anonymous said...

Oh geez ... whatever.  Haha!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Heh.  I used to do content writing for AOL as a volunteer Community Leader.  At one point I was writing two weekly featured on forum screens columns and had to adhere to AOL's version of AP Style.  I NEVER got used to the only one space after a period, but still do my ellipses with the three dots, space.

I feel your pain!

But I never got into the bolding!  :::fleeing:::

Anonymous said...

The bolding of key and/or random words is a fundamental tenet of the Official Magic Smoke Styleguide... or it will be as soon as I get around to writing one. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Isn't it just for possessiveness "Mike's ball" etc. I never heard of an apostrophe used for just plural. On ellipses who cares...we get the idea! APA style went to a version of saving space. The one I hated was on Reference pages the first line of your reference was no longer at the left margin with additional lines indented so you can see the author or each reference clearly. In saving space they went to indenting the author & additional lines to the left. You couldn't even see where the authors were. Ugh! I'd just like words being spelled right (not just typos that is understandable) My worst this term was "egzaderats" (exaggerates). That is not a typo! Also I have more problems with how people say words. Perhaps it means being more tolerant of geographic location but still bothers me...like "PapA" for Paper  or "Peabidee" for Peabody from those who live on the east coast.

Anonymous said...

You commented:
"The bolding of key and/or random words is a fundamental tenet of the Official Magic Smoke Styleguide... or it will be as soon as I get around to writing one. -- Joe"

Please correct your ellipsis and resubmit.
:::fleeing again:::  Seriously, though... mechanical habits in typing are hard to change.  The hands automatically do them, not the mind.  Oh... and the Keyword is "random" bolded words.  :::now fleeing for a long time!:::

Anonymous said...

Oh my!  and my ellipses have always been like this . . .  space before, in-between and after - from my 9th grade grammar teacher . . . won't tell you how many years ago!  Blessings, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

LOL.
Elisa