Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Blog Confessions

I'm starting to think that we're going to need a version of the Miranda warning solely for bloggers:

"Anything you blog can and will be used against you in a court of law (and every other darned place)."

As found on Fark: Blake Ranking, a Florida high schooler and blogger, plead guilty to DUI manslaughter because of what he wrote on his blog.

This
was after a car accident that killed his best friend and seriously
injured himself and another passenger. It seems Mr. Ranking, who was
drunk (underaged, of course) and sitting in the back seat, decided at
some point to grab the steering wheel (as also seen by witnesses),
which caused the fatal crash.

Three days later, he blogged about
it, and prosecutors found out. Combined with eyewitness testimony and
interviews, things didn't look so good for Mr. Ranking.

Mr.
Ranking later retracted the confession, deleted his entry, and made an
explanation, but the damage had been done... draw your own conclusions.

It also reminds me of an episode last month, when Hossein Derakhshan
(a.k.a. Hoder), an Iranian-born blogger (and Canadian citizen) who'd
been living in New York for a while, popped back over the border to
Canada for a visit.

On the way back into the States, one of the Customs and Border Protection officers googled him and read his blog, where he made a determination that Hoder wasn't allowed back into the country.

Whether
it's the police, the border patrol, your mom or your boss, whether it's
now or 10 years from now, there are probably people whom you don't want
reading your blog. So think before you post.

Oh, and the next
time I hear some distressed blogger say, "I can't believe they found my
[publically available] blog!", I swear I'm going to reach through the
screen and dope-slap them.

Thanks -- Joe

Tag:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said, I almost got fired over something I wrote in my blog. If it's public, they will come. And read. And catch you.

Anonymous said...

yup yup, either keep your journal private, or not blab about every bowel movement  and burp in your public one!Can we pass out stupidiy awards here! geeezzzzzz!
~Julie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Even though that I cannot blog a bad response, what I am going to do? Is this what you supposed to expect to believe? I am not sure what is going on here.

Anonymous said...

I actually turned down a Boston Globe interview after the All Star Blogger Contest because I didn't want 5-0 putting 2 + 2 together and busting me in my classroom on drug charges stemming from offhand blog remarks.

Speaking of busted...

About a month or so ago, all of my AOL Videos (I bookmark my favorites) suddenly changed, audio-wise. I thought my speakers had blown, except my Real Player and Windows Media Player sounded fine. My AOL Radio sounds fine, too.... it's just when I listen to the AOL music videos. Am I on an island with this, or is it a common complaint?

BTW, it was either you, or the Live Help people... and I'd imagine that you're somewhat more used to my conversation style than some poor sucker on the 11-7 graveyard shift.

No hurry on this... tomorrow morning, maybe?

With the elf connections all Smurfs have, I can pretty much guarantee you getting off the Naughty List if this works itself out... no mean feat, as Santa was pretty pissed about the whole Bad Anner thing.

Anonymous said...

"Dope-slap' them! lol Your right tho-if ya write it, people WILL READ IT-and judge! It it might come back to haunt you for all time! ~Diane~

Anonymous said...

Here's what Urban Dictionary says about "dope slap" -- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dope+Slap
Tom and Ray, the www.cartalk.com guys, use it a lot. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I expect there is already a special unit of both state and federal law set up to monitor blogs. There will be people in business checking employees blogs so lets either watch that we keep our writing safe or not write at all.

Anonymous said...

it doesn't  get any more real then this  if God see's what you are doing from heaven   ,the news reporters see what you are doing behind the sences and your job sees what you are doing behind servailence imagine what the world sees if a pin size tatto can be seen maginfied proportions imagine what else is seen lets face it what is done in secret will in fact be exposed darkness wants to come to the light so we all should concider what we do behind closes doors