Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Fun With Paper

Hi folks -- I'm in the
process of going through a bunch of my old bookmarks (for reasons I
will get into in a later entry -- not trying to be cryptic, it's just
not crucial to the story right now).

I found a couple of links that involve doing interesting things with paper.

* Dollar Bill Shirt
This Web page tells you how to fold a shirt out of a dollar bill. (I don't recommend you trying to wear it, though, except in the privacy of your own home or certain parts of Europe.)

It's off the Money Origami Web site, which also tells you how to make rings, eyeglasses, a Christmas tree and more. I haven't tried any of those yet, but I am now pretty good at making the shirts:

Joe with Shirt

Actually, it looks more interesting when Darth Tater is holding it (it's life-size in this photo, too, at least on my monitor):

Darth with Dollar Shirt

FYI, the sleeves are the tricky part -- it involves some sort of diamond fold that I'm sure has a proper origami term, but I don't know what it is.

If you want to share your own dollar shirt photo
(or snake, spider, tree, etc.), feel free to blog a pic and leave your
URL in the comments. Or, if you prefer, you can mail your completed
artworks to me -- also note that these instructions work with larger
denominations, too.

* Paper CD Case (GIF; site may be slow, see link below for alternates):
Here's a quick and dirty way (actually, it's not at all dirty -- it's pretty slick) to make a CD case from your standard 8.5" x 11" piece of paper.

It
works with any similarly sized piece of paper -- I'm partial to glossy
magazine pages, myself -- and is great when you need to protect a CD
you just burned or otherwise need to transport.

Some folks have also taken it a step further with a customizeable, printable template that lets you print out the track names, title, cover art, etc.

No picture included, since it's not all that interesting to look at.

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe what cool and fun things!!!!! You wanta see my decoratative towel folding? LOL.
Betty

Anonymous said...

Oh I am a shoe girl, I am going to have to sit down with my dollar bill... and attempt that one... I will post my creation tomorrow. hehehe. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda :)
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

Anonymous said...

Very interesting for what you've make & I never made one of them when I was a little kid except making paper airplanes out of paper. Vey good suggestion.

Rein

Anonymous said...

Two things. I have been making paper cranes for years. They say if you make a thousand, you will achieve peace. I have no idea how many I have done throught the years but, it obviously hasn't been enough. No peace in my life, yet!
Can you PLEASE change the picture of me on the journals page to the one I sent a few weeks ago and with the information I provided. I HATE THAT PICTURE!
Unless, of course, it's payback for that nasty "banner ad" debacle.
Then I would understand.
I do love an evil payback!

Anonymous said...

Way to cute, thanks for the pic. My kids jsut love the Darth Tater, they said it was, sooooo cuuuuttteee!

Thanks Joe!

>:0)~

Anonymous said...

Great entry.  Thanks for sharing.
Darth is way too cute!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

h