Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Guest Editorships and Open Systems

Hi everybody,

(Warning, this is going to be a long
entry.)

I happened to stumble upon a Journal entry
by Robin (of These
Are the Days of Our Lives...
), which kind of took
me to task about the direction I've taken the whole Guest
Editor
thing.


Actually, she
flamed me pretty good,

but I don't mind [Update: Okay,
I see that it's tongue-in-cheek, except with more naughty words than
one would expect for that sort of thing.] I would, however, like a
chance to talk about some
of
the questions she (and some of the commenters in her entry, as well as
others) have raised.

(By the way, if anyone has a
rant or complaint about me, my blog, or Journals in general,
feel free to send it to me as well as post it to
your blog -- it's the only way that will guarantee that I will see it,
and I won't get mad. Honest.)

Okay, so about the
Guest Editor

thing. As you recall, it's the primary way we're featuring blogs: I
ask

someone to be Guest Editor and pick their favorite blogs and do a blog

entry about them, and then I point to the Guest Editor's blog
entry.

I do this because I am 1.)
incredibly lazy and 2.) relying on the
collective wisdom of Journalers and bloggers to find
stuff, on the theory that many eyes are better than two (or four, in my
case.)

Now, there are several complaints and
concerns about this, which I hope I am characterizing
correctly:



* It's been months since I asked; why haven't I been
picked yet?

The answer, unfortunately, is
simple math: Guest

Editors' (or Editors') picks are once a week, and we've only been
doing

them since June, so we've only had 23 Guest Editors so far. There are

close to 100 more people on the
ever-growing list of

people who've expressed interested in being a Guest Editor -- even if

you subtract the people who don't want to have anything to do with me

or AOL any more after the ads debacle, that's still a lot of people,

and we're only able to feature one a week.

How can
we remedy

this -- can we have multiple Guest Editors each week? Possibly -- I

will look into it; however, please know that coordinating all this is

not easy. It's just me doing all this.

As I've
mentioned several times before, we're working on additional ways to
feature bloggers -- the Face Wall on the Journals Main Page is one
of the newer ones, and I'm hoping that the partner
ping
stuff that went up with the R2 release will help us
build ways to automate displays of newly created or
updated blogs...but, I also understand that being a Guest Editor or
Editor's Pick carries a status or cachet that other
features do not.

* If there are so few
Guest Editor slots available, why did you waste two around Thanksgiving
with your own picks?

I

apologize for this one -- due to both the timing of the ad banner

fiasco (which kept us pretty busy, as you can imagine) and the

logistics of the short holiday week, I couldn't guarantee that I could

coordinate everything with Guest Editor candidates on time, so I

decided to put up what essentially amounted to filler (though I hope
it

was decent filler).

Despite what I said earlier
about the Guest

Editor being created out of sheer laziness, there is still a lot of

work involved, from outreach, asset gathering and management, art

creation, authoring, and publishing to Journals main, this blog, the

boards and the Alert (which I also failed to send out last week, sorry
Brandi).


* You've missed out on so many good AOL
Journals! Why are you wasting time letting people feature non-AOL
blogs?

Okay,

this is a pretty controversial one and I know a lot of you will

continue to disagree with me on this, but please hear me
out.

First off, I tell Guest Editors that they have
the editorial freedom

to pick whatever they want (well, okay, within the bounds of decency
--

I'm not an anarchist). Telling them to limit their picks to AOL

Journals would like me being forced only to talk about how you

shouldn't use a 3rd-party
FTP client


because the AOL in-client FTP tool is so great (which it isn't -- it's

older than dirt and a pain to use) or that you shouldn't use the great
Firefox
browser
because it's not AOL's. It's not honest, and it's not
right.





Similarly, if I tell a political blogger Guest Editor that they can't
feature PowerLine or Daily Kos,

just because they're not AOL blogs, even though that may be that

person's favorite, bestest blog ever, doesn't seem right. (And yes, I

know that neither PowerLine nor Daily Kos need the extra traffic since

they're pretty dominant already -- this isn't about pimping blogs for

pageviews, though.)

As you hear time and time again,
blogging is about relationships -- if your
relationships include non-AOL blogs, why shouldn't you be able to
highlight those blogs?

From a practical perspective,
there's a very big blog world

out there, and AOL needs to be a part of it. The more we participate
in

the blogosphere, through meaningful interaction (and remember,
blogging

is all about relationships and interaction) the more the blogosphere

will pay attention to us. (And not just because AOL gets a writeup on
the ad thing in BlogSpotting
or because we do a blog
survey
that gets picked up in the blog
press.)

Keeping the raw numbers in mind, there are a
lot -- millions -- more non-AOL blogs than there are
AOL blogs -- that's a lot of new potential visitors
and commenters to your Journal out
there.

Now,

please don't take this as a slam on the AOL Journals community. Part
of

the reason why the Web and the Blogosphere works is that it is
open. The blogosphere would be a completely
different place if Xanga
people couldn't interact with Blogger people who couldn't
link to LiveJournal
people...you're going to hear more about "Web 2.0"
in the coming days, but it's about this -- closed systems stagnate --
open systems thrive.

The AOL Journals
ecosystem
to date has been pretty closed.
I know it's comfortable, but it can also be
cramped -- I've had to work really
closely
with the Guest Editors to make sure that we see new
Journalers featured, instead of the same names over and over
again
, which is a very real risk (and another type of
complaint I'd gotten early on).

A final point I'd
like to make about this goes back to the first
Guest Editor's picks
, where all of the
picks were non-AOL blogs. Perhaps that was the wrong foot to setoff
on, but I'd asked for Dan's
picks
and I had to keep my word, and it's not his fault that
his primary blog reads were off AOL.

However, I saw
the following sentiment a bunch of times: "You SUCK
for featuring non-AOL blogs, but ohmygosh PostSecret is
soooo cool."

Now, largely
because of the Journals
exodus
,

I'd opened up the possibility to have non-AOL bloggers make Guest

Editor picks -- I don't want to close off any possibilities, though as

I said before, we've got a long list of people who want to be Guest

Editors, so I don't see it happening anytime
soon.

Whew, that

was a pretty long one. I had originally planned to talk about a blog

entry floating around today on how to get more
visitors
, but that will

have to wait until tomorrow.

In any case, if you
have any ideas

as to how we can better feature AOL Journalers, both
here and via other

methods, please let me know in comments or
mail.

Keep in mind,

it doesn't have to just come through me. For example, maybe we do some

kind of Journals passaround, where everyone does an
entry that links to

5 of their favorite blogs (AOL and non-AOL), and we find some way to

spread these around (kind of a combination of a blog carnival and the

Halloween trick-or-treating that you guys just
did.)

Just thinking out loud, let me know your own
ideas.

Thanks -- Joe

Tag:

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, as I said in that first ever Guest Editor post, I didn't chose my AOL reads because they'd all been featured before in one forum or another.

Still, people did all take their shots at me (unfairly, I thought), so I sympathize with your post-ad banner life.

Dan
http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

If you make it very long, it reminded me of a soap opera & there is no happy ending & those words of "to be continued" & there is another part of the sequel. Remember the parts 1,2 & 3? Well, I hope that the guest editor will make it's only entry. All you got to do is go back to square one & figure out what the heck is happening to the page & re-write the whole story all over again okay? Trust me, it will work. PostSecrets & journals, it will be fixed very soon.

Rein.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Excuse my spelling and grammer errors ... I think I am just having one of those nights ...

"If I WERE you"

Anonymous said...

My Mom always said she knew I had a mouth like a truck driver when she isn't around. I apologize for my use of "naughty words"  I think I missed my medication that day.  I let myself get fired up and I sorta spilled it out into my journal and into your laps...hope I can be forgiven.

Thanks Joe, for clearing those things up.  I'd still like to see it just be AOL journals but I can understand your reasons.  Hopefully you can over look my tantrum and know that if you ever get throw in jail I will be there with a homemade cake ... with a chisel in the middle of course.

Robin

Anonymous said...

I think its ag reat honor to be guest editor. I would like to be one if only to recommend my friends whom I think are great and have lots of wisdome to share some with aids some with family problems and some with other maladies and some that are just funny. however you choose them Its not my place to tell you how. But I do think its great you admit when you see where you can improve.

Anonymous said...

Thanx Joe.
Elisa

Anonymous said...

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I don't have any problems with the way you are doing the Guest Editor thing and still look forward to the new features each week.  Its always nice to see familiar journals featured, but equally enjoyable is being introduced to new journals, even non-AOL blogs.
Having said that, I feel that it would be inappropriate for the Guest Editor for AOL journals to be a non-AOL blogger.  Thats like crowning a Martian as Miss America.  You have to draw the line somewhere.  How far are you going to go to include the rest of the web, to the point of alienating the AOL members themselves?  Are we to be phased out?
I think AOL takes too much credit for the success of AOL Journals.  The space is AOL's.  The service is AOL's.  The product, as you folks like to call it, is AOL's.  What is written inside that space, the words, the thoughts and feelings, the lives... those belong to the individuals.  Do you really think we're cramped and in danger of becoming stagnant?  Do we need millions more readers from the world wide blogosphere to thrive?  I don't.  I'm not concerned about hits (although my recent 40,000 was a fun milestone).  I think it is pretty obvious why AOL is making all of these changes and it has nothing to do with the blogging members.
So, yay on the Guest Editor program as it is, nay on the non-AOL guest editor since with hundreds of thousands of blogs out there we shouldn't run out of AOL volunteers, and nay on the gobbledigoop about the benefits of enlarging our community to increase hits.  Maybe AOL should just make a new weblog community, just the way they want it with beautiful ads and non-AOL bloggers, and leave us in peace.  And you could be Joe, the WWW Blog Editor.  Hey, it has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
By the way, I thought Slap was the perfect pick for the First Guest Editor.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I'll give you my two cents about promoting AOL journals, even though you may have absolutely no control over this.

I think the most disappointment I've seen in the last year was on the individual (non-journals) channels, like music and television.  Where in the past, the editors of those channels would scour journals to find commentary on those topics and highlight the total crap out of us, now, it seems to me, that they're finding message boards and outside sources to tout.  There are a lot of people writing journals that have really interesting things to say about pop culture, yet, where they used to be spotlighted, now they're generally ignored.

This was the reason I commented in Robin's journal that the Guest Editor seems to be the only real internal recognition journals has anymore.  Used to be, in the beginning, that links to journals could be found everywhere, on any topic, even on the main welcome screen.  But all that seems to have disappeared somewhat.  

It's just one idea, and again, I have no clue what, if anything, you can do to promote journals to those channels, but I thought I'd throw that out there.  

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I don't think it would be right for a non-AOL J-lander to be guest editor.  If people want to list non-aol journals in their list that is one thing, but if you let non-aol journalers do it, will that feels like a slap in the face to those of us that are.
Why not have another guest editorship thing for non-aol journalers.  Have it on a different day, or run them side by side?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Kathy and Celeste.  Let's not spit in the face of the journalers who have stuck by you through thick and thin by picking an outside editor.  J-land can survive without the charmed princes and princesses.

NJLB
http://journals.aol.com/njlittlebear/MyBigFatGeekLife

Anonymous said...

Only people with AOL journals should get the crown and sceptre of being overlord or lady of J-land. They should pick whoever they want. I picked only AOL journals because that's all I read. To each their own when they rule J-land.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer -- getting other non-community programming groups to integrate community offerings is always an ongoing challenge. Journals can be especially tricky, because they represent additional "risk" -- there's always the fear in pointing to a particular blog, that the linked blogger could suddenly flip out and post all kinds of inappropriate stuff.  This risk is lessened in boards (for example), because channels will pretty much stick to pointing to AOL-Managed Boards, so there are folks who will monitor for content.

There's also the whole issue of harvesting content -- it takes work, and it's always a challenge to find stuff that's relevant to what you want to promote.

Automation in the form of tagging and improved search tools may be one way to help out.  Also, there are a few entertainment-related blogs that are coming out (but they're more gossip-focused); if you (all) can engage them by participating in those in a relevant way, it might help raise awareness of your own blogs -- I will link them up from the Editors' Blogs pages.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Here's my opinion, and note that it comes from someone who is NO LONGER an AOL Journal writer.

I see the frustration that AOL Journal writers have about non-AOL journals being featured.  After deciding to stay (and in some cases, to still pay membership fees), they should get recognition.  I also see your point about "editorial freedom" for your guest editors.

So why not make this compromise:  future journal editors can make UP TO TEN picks, but AT LEAST FIVE MUST be AOL Journals.  That way, at worst, 50% of their picks will be within J-land, and no matter who else they choose to feature, there will ALWAYS be AOL Journals getting the top honors?

And my two cents on guest editor eligibility:  if you don't have a journal on AOL, then you shouldn't be a guest editor.  Yes, that would count me out, but that's okay.  I wouldn't feel right about being a "guest editor" for a journal product I've moved away from, anyway.

Just my thoughts...for what they're worth.

Patrick
http://patricks-place.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I think that you are making an error, here.

Never help the enemy. It's like the sort of exact opposite of that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" business. They hang you for it in a real war... even here, and we used to be a fairly liberal country.

AOL's J-Land suffered a terrible schism last month, and it was a bad scene... but nothing like the bad scene that would happen to Journalslavia if AOL goes belly up.

I kind of like it here, even with the ad banners. I'm USED TO AOL. I know people here, now.... and I'm not that friendly.

I don't want to see AOL get rolled up by some uppity start-up company that gets lucky. We get goofed on enough for using AOL.

I consider every single other blog source to be the enemy. I consider friends who left AOL to use other blog services to be sort of friends living behind enemy lines. I'm amazed that you don't.

I would not only refuse to give props to other blog providers, I would openly disparage them. If you can't find fault in them, you should improve AOL'd product until you have stuff that they don't.... then repeat as necessary.

There's hundereds of kids coming out of college every year who can hunt up neat tech links, Joe.... there's only one or two who can run interference for a corporate giant, smashing rivals before them like some sort of cruel god.

You're lucky that I'm already rich, and that I basically like AOL. Damn lucky...

Anonymous said...

What's funny is, if you didn't allow non AOL blogs to be featured, they'd rant about that, too.

Let's just face it, everyone wants things done their way, to their liking and anything less is going to cause problems....ones that should be ignored.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply Joe.  

I understand what you're saying.  (Hadn't quite thought of the idea of a featured journaler wigging out, LOL, or taking advantage of the situation.)  I guess the whole reason for my suggestion was that there are so many readers out there who love "Survivor" or "American Idol" (shameless plug) who flock to TV Talk, but who've never heard of journals until they see the link there.  I know I picked up a ton of readers just from that linkage alone.  But I do see what you're saying about the danger and/or difficulty in doing so.  Alas.

Having said that then, I stand by what I said on Robin's journal:  the editor's list is one of the few purely-AOL-J acknowledgements, and, IMO, it should stay that way.  But I don't like the idea of handcuffing the person chosen as Guest Editor either.  The limit on non-AOL blogs would be a good idea.  If the chosen one, who should always be an AOL journaler, not a former one, wants to go outside of AOL he or she should have that option, but maybe only two of the six picks.  Or three.  But no more.

Personally I have no stake in the matter, so my opinions are entirely objective.

Thanks again for the reply.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see how this debate has evolved and changed from the last time this subject came up. I know my own bloggy ecosystem now encompasses several blogging platforms. Before I was focused on the journals.com domain and now I'm trying not to be so focused here. Various reasons. Some obvious, some less so.

I dunno, but thanks for the long entry. It's a good one.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer.... When they sent me to Houston for the all star game, I wrote an entry that they actually called me up and asked me to remove. I dodged the call somehow, and my sister had to take care of it. I think it concerned Roger Clemens and the Mafia.

Anonymous said...

Blogging was newer then... I'd only been at it about a month or so at the time.

Anonymous said...

The rest of the world recognizing AOL Journals as legitimate blogs... yes.  Most do, actually.  I've never had anyone go "EEWWW!" because my NASCAR blog is here.

Guest editors noting non-AOL blogs... I guess.  Especially since AOL did such a bang-up job running so many people out of Dodge with the ads issue.  There is a dwindling number of blogs left to choose from here.

Non-AOL members as guest editors... no way.  I'd like to think being an AOL member offers some kind of perk other than having our blogs at a place where we can't place ads on them and profit from same, as is the case on Blogger and LiveJournal and so on, but the host can without sharing a dime from any revenue so derived... and then talk down to us when we complain.

Anonymous said...

its a big world out there I know
nat

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe:

"..and we find some way to spread these around (kind of a combination of a blog carnival and the Halloween trick-or-treating that you guys just did.).."

You mean, Kind of like The VIVI's. Funny how that brilliant example got lost in the thought (your thought) huh? There were MORE THAN SEVERAL -not just 5- New journal links found "everywhere" in "this Land" during that event. Oh yeah, my bad, it wasn't "sponsored" nor "endorsed" by AOL.

I appreciate this entry, Joe, Thank-you.

Barb @>---------

Anonymous said...

Barb -- I'm trying to find ongoing programming to recirculate traffic and expose new Journals and blogs to supplement the weekly Guest Editor picks, not serve as an awards show.

Conceptually, I think that makes it a little different than the Vivis or the J-Land Awards, though you are welcome to draw your own comparisons.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Hello Joe,

I was thinking of an idea, maybe it could be a trial and error thing. How about we try to have a theme of the week?

For instance; About People who are making a difference, Cancer Survivors, Political, Diaries, Law & Law Enforcement related, Police and Fire journals, Kids Journals and so on.....

Thanks for listening and Ihope you stay warm >;0)~

Have a great day!

Myra

Anonymous said...

I don't read many non-AOL blogs. The reason is because I just don't have the time. I have too many AOL journals I must read daily! I must! But to just feature AOL wouldn't be right. I have a lot of friends here but I also have a lot of friends else where. It would be like, I will only be friends with people who live in my community! The rest of the county are out! Joe, I am sorry people say mean things to you. I don't blame you for anything. You are one man doing a very big job and you are doing the best you can. I thank you for that! If we find a friend, does it really matter where their address is? Come on people! Let's all just get along! Like dad says, come on in and have a cup of coffee and smile!