Monday, February 12, 2007

Stephanie on Blogging

Hi folks -- hope you all had a good weekend. Right now, I'm sitting in a meeting room listening to Product Manager Stephanie giving a presentation to internal AOL employees on blogging basics (it's part of an ongoing educational series):

AOL Journals Product Manager Stephanie
Stephanie on blogging.

A lot of this is old hat to regular bloggers, but she's also answering questions from AOL internals who are interested in getting blogs of their own. Trying to get more AOL folks into the blogosphere has kind of been a hobby/crusade of mine, so even though I  promised that I wouldn't hijack her presentation, I did jump in a few times.

One of her more interesting points (I mean, they're all interesting, but this jumped out), was that the blogging behavior online is not new. In the early days of the Internet, game developers and programmers had .plan files, which was kind of like a text profile. Users would check those .plan files for updates on games that they were waiting for. The arrival of blogs just made things easier for people to publish and find that kind of information.

(FYI: I'm on my laptop, so I can't tell if the photo looks right. Does it look okay, in terms of brightness & color?)

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've kind of been doing this sort of online thing since the BBS days in 1982-ish when I would post constant updates about my wonky life and crazy days on my own message thread on a BBS created for swapping Commodore 64 & 128 files.  

To think that I was actually "blogging" to the 414 area-code in those days on a pulse phone-line through a 1200 baud modem is baffling.  Then came Q-link...  And here I am today, STILL stinking up the place with my madness.  

I should have paid better attention in those days.  I could tell some stories about swapping bootleg copies of Castle Wolfenstein in the back room of a Milwaukee pastry shop.  Good times...  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

gah, isn't that a lovely picture :p

Anonymous said...

Sorry -- the flash pic I took caught you mid-sentence, with a funny (well, funnier) expression on your face. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Nice shot! Image noise was what I noticed rather than the colors or brightness. Try this workflow:

http://journals.aol.com/photographyd/AOLPHOTOTALK/entries/2006/11/16/photo-tips-color-correction/1196

Anonymous said...

Well, Stephanie IS from New York, and I just figure she was dropping a little East Coast mobster on the conference.  She's probably saying "Joey "Bag of Knuckles" Loong knows a guy who knows a guy.  Ba-da-bing!  Fuhgeddaboudit."

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Go Stephanie!!! Go Go Go!

Anonymous said...

Bring it to the blogosphere!