Thursday, February 15, 2007

No One Cares What I Had for Lunch? Tough

Hey folks -- the title of this entry comes from a book by blogger & author Maggie Mason (who apparently had a baby just last week -- congratulations) that Editor Jeff mentioned a while back.

I still haven't read the book yet, but I'm ambivalent about the title, since it implies an over-sensitivity to reader opinions.

For better or worse, I'm not like most bloggers (at least in this blog), because I'm explicitly blogging for an audience (like most other corporate bloggers).

However, for regular folks, this shouldn't be a consideration -- if you blog about something mundane, it doesn't mean anyone else has to read it. I think there's a difference between caring about your readers, and writing for them.

So, yes, I'm going to blog about my lunch.

There have been signs on campus this month for fresh-made sushi at the HQ cafeteria:

Sign Announcing Sushi in AOL HQ Cafeteria

Now, mind you, we're not Google (or "Googe", as some might have thought yesterday), so we have to, like, actually pay for our lunches. And the Wegman's mega-market across the street also has a sushi chef. But it's a nice change of pace:

Fish for Sushi at the AOL HQ Cafeteria in Dulles, Virginia

Sushi setup.  The order tickets are stacking up.

Sushi chef at the AOL HQ Cafeteria in Dulles.

Sushi chef at work.

Now, here I am, back at my desk with my Sushi Regular meal. You can see me using the miso soup container lid as a dish for my soy sauce/wasabi concoction. Clever, yes?

Sushi platter.

Of course, the predictable happened moments later:

Spilled soy sauce and wasabi mixture.

Oh well.

On a photo note, I (mostly) went with 375 pixel-wide photos (depending on your monitor size and settings, your standard three-column Journal can take about 500 pixel-wide photos without starting to cause problems), since a post with 5 photos is going to get pretty big as it is. (As a rule of thumb, there are 72 pixels in an inch.)

The sushi was pretty standard, but good. It's pretty mainstream these days, but I know there are still holdouts -- anyone out there vehemently pro- or anti-sushi?

Thanks -- Joe

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

definately anti-sushi! the idea of eating it just makes me shiver,,,,,

Anonymous said...

I actually am not allowed to eat sushi due to medical reasons and raw fish..... So I guess I would be anti~sushi by circumstance? Tawnya

Anonymous said...

My favourite food! Lucky you!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

I love California sushi which (note to dougsbabygirl31) does not contain raw seafood.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe .... looks fab, but don't think i fancy having that in my mouth --- ugh!!!
Jayne :o)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... sushi.  I love it.  But, there really aren't too many sushi spots here in Milwaukee.  The few we have are way overpriced, and not that great.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

thats a nice looking lunch you have there, Joe..

Anonymous said...

It's 12:10p.m.  You're making me hungry.   lol
-- Robin

Anonymous said...

Sushi is teh yum! I lurvse it.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Cute entry!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Give me sukiyaki, teriyaki, tempura, miso, anything but sushi!
Traci

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is a Japanese Orthodox Jew... he was accidentally circumcised at a Benihana's while attempting to seduce a waitress.