Monday, February 26, 2007

More Snow Photos From AOL HQ

Hi folks -- we got some more snow late Saturday night and into Sunday morning:

Snow seen from the top of the AOL HQ Parking Deck
View from the parking deck.

It was from remnants of the big storm that hit the Midwest, though we were only supposed to get an inch or two of slush, sleet and snow.

Well, we got significantly more than that; here's a timeline of what actually came down. We ended up getting about 5 inches or so around here, though it's already melting away.

Lone tree in the AOL HQ lawn, surrounded by snow.
Tree on lawn, surrounded by snow.

Snow on the AOL Campus
Building CC2 on the right.

The roads and sidewalks were pretty clear, but some of the outer suburbs' school systems were closed (they got a bit more).

More Snow

On a photo note, nearly all of the pictures I post here in Magic Smoke come from my AOL Pictures public gallery: I grab the HTML code by hitting the "Embed This" button from the top of each public gallery picture, and paste it into my Journal.

However, I haven't done updated instructions on how to do this yet, because it's a little finnicky; the
embeddable HTML that AOL Pictures gives you uses single quotes, and AOL Journals doesn't like that (it's a standards thing -- I'm not sure who's more compliant), especially after you make changes, like add ALT text  (the normally hidden text that describes a picture; you'll usually see it if you mouse over the picture.)

This is why you'll sometimes see after I post an entry, there will be HTML code showing where the photo should be -- it shows up in text view fine, but after I hit save, something happens to munge the HTML, and I have to go back and fix it.

The Journals team is working on a better picture picker experience (which is why Stephanie wants your photos feedback), though, so I'm hoping people will be able to get by until it's ready.

Thanks -- Joe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's nice to see where is AOL HQ, but where is it? which town?? or city?
it looks pretty empty with all the snow around. I say around for I am amaised the snow avoided the path. It is so straight and immaculate. Or perhaps you have devoted workers cleaning the path for you before you arrive at aol, in that case you are treated like Kings :D
It looks cold grey and empty...
I'll go and see your gallery later
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

Anonymous said...

Heya -- sorry, I take it for granted sometimes that people know where we are: AOL HQ is in Dulles, Virginia, right near Dulles Airport; it's a mid-to-outer suburb of Washington DC; here it is in Mapquest (I'm using TinyURL because it's a really, really long URL: http://tinyurl.com/2bm3dl ) -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe - nice pics ..... here in the South West of England we hardly ever have snow. Did someone clear all the paths for you pedestrians?  well done that person !
Jayne

Anonymous said...

that is a lot of snow! I hope everyone is ok
hugs,nat