Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Flowers, Sweets & Love Seats: AOL [Hearts] Technologies

OK, here's a scene from Valentine's Day, AOL-style:

This is violinist Miles Stiebel, who was roaming the halls to drum up interest in the "We [Heart] Technologies" fair on-campus today. (In return for the photo, I promised Mr. Stiebel that I would plug his CD, No Hassle Miles, available on indy music micropublishing site CD Baby.)

As reported by tech gossip blog Valleywag (they featured an internal, all-employees memo about it -- I'm not going to direct link it, for a modicum of butt-covering), AOL has deemed February "Technology Trends" month; it's meant to highlight popular and emerging technology trends to everyone in the company, including simple, non-technical folks like me. (Stephanie's presentation on blogging was part of the program.)

For Valentine's Day, we had a big love-in and road show, the "We [heart] Technologies Fair," which showcased work from groups inside AOL (like Accessibility, AOL Mobile and MapQuest), and also from some of our technology partners (Archos, Creative, IndustryNext, Intel, NetBlender, Nokia, Ombligo, and TopCoder)

More importantly, they also had flowers:

Sweets:


Note the We [Heart] Technologies candy hearts in the bag. I ate mine.

And of course, love seats:

Attendance was pretty good, considering that a lot of people worked from home today because of the icy road conditions:

One of the sponsors of the event is the new AOL CTO, Balan Nair; I don't know that much about him, other than he's pretty tall and I didn't take a photo of him (here's his bio).

For my part, I basically played with some of the gizmos. Oh, and I also I harassed one of the MapQuesters with a feature I'd like to see (either native to the application, or available from third-parties via an API) -- think directions that update dynamically when you drag the route marker line on the map. That would be cool.

Other than that, it meant that I ate dessert before I ate lunch. But I made it work.

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what I love in the US, you do the things in big, I love the seats :D
It sounds great
Happy Valentine day to you too
Valerie

Anonymous said...

"I ate dessert before I ate lunch"  - that is the way it should be!! Whoever invented the other way around was wrong!!

Hey, glad you got  to feel the Love there in Dulles. In Mountain View we had no love seats, or Cookies or Gismos to play with :-( . Just got our R11 to Beta :-)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe - what a fab idea and what fun!!!!   Think i might suggest something like that for the college recruitment day next year !!
Jayne

Anonymous said...

I blame Joe for that new Welcome Screen screwing up my computer as I log on.

Happy Valentine's Day... I think it's still Valentine's Day in Turkmenstan, so it's still good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe.  People are complaining that they can't leave comments on my journal, and I've not changed anything.  I looked into the permissions folder, and I'm not blocking anyone, and I have it set to allow comments.  

Any idea what's going on?

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Dan -- I left you a test comment; didn't see any problems using Firefox. I will have to  try using AOL and IE. At what point does commenting break for people -- do they get the comment form, does it just hang, or something else? Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

The NECCO factory is in Boston, and it was always a popular field trip with my students and I. NECCO makes those little candy Valentine hearts that your caterer ripped off.

Maybe skimp on the candy hearts and violin players next time, and not fire Jeff at Christmas. I know YOU didn't do it, but you know where to leave a copy of this comment lying around.

"Balan Nair" sounds like one of those video games where you compete as an armed Elf.