Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Problem With Duplicate Description Text Showing Up in Header

Hi all -- a few of you have sent in reports of portions of your Journal's description text being duplicated and showing up at the top of your Journal. The following are examples from Journals The Mean Streets
and The Strawberry Patch:

Duplicate Journals Description Text Showing up in the Header

The Journals tech folks have identified the cause of this problem -- it's happening if you use double quotes ("these") in your Journal's description. (Actually, it involves double quotes and line breaks -- I use double quotes in my Journal's description, but not line breaks, so I'm not experiencing this problem here.)

The team has logged this as a bug (so thanks for your reports) and will be working on a fix that involves "escaping" double quotes that show up in your Journal descriptions.

In the meantime, until this is fixed, here's the workaround: Either remove the double quotes, or replace them with single quotes. (You can even use 2 single quotes in the place of a double quote: '' vs. ").

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks -- Joe

Tags: ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick question? how do i get to the message boards? i have tried and it says i have been blocked ? help

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb -- it's not just you -- apparently there is a Message Boards problem (not related to R6 or anything else with Journals).

The guys over at the Community Info blog will be posting info shortly -- they post info about the community products:
http://journals.aol.com/communityeditor/community-forum/

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Will I be able to put pictures on my journal again at some stage ?.........Jan

Anonymous said...

Well, Joe I think our journals now officially look like crap. Between the ad taking up so much space and the new journal search tool, it manages, well, not look like a journal at all. Now, I think that could be remedied if AOL gave us the tools to make a journal banner...you know, like you have. My little 'Oh My Word!' barely stands a chance with all that other stuff up there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info and for mentioning my journal, Joe! :-)

~ Susan

Anonymous said...

Not sure I like the new look, Joe. In any event, I converted my double-quotes to single and "double-sinlge" quotes, as it were, and it did the trick. I appreciate your help. Thanks also for the free plug.   Jim

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me where to complain about the flashing ads at the bottom of our emails Joe?  Not that it would make a difference since AOL doesn't care what their customers think.  We found that out when they put the ads in our journals.  I can handle that but as a seizure patient, trying to read my email with a big flashing ad at the bottom is annoying and causes seizures.  Did they ever think of that?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  It doesn't matter to them cuz it's all about the money getting paid to splash ads all over the place.  Thanx in advance if you could direct me to the right dept.
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess