Thursday, June 1, 2006

Leveling Up in HTML Knowledge

There was a Digg item today about Roger Johansson; he's a Web standards guy in Sweden, and he posted a blog entry entitled Levels of HTML Knowledge -- it's a semi-serious look at ranking people's knowledge of HTML, which is the underlying language that tells Web pages what to do and how to display.

Mr. Johnansson uses a six-point scale, where HTML Level 0 is a big "Huh?", to HTML Level 6, where the pointy-headed folks are creating their own new markup languages, etc.

Personally, I would say that I'm probably a low-end Level 4 (that is, marginal and reluctant). I don't like using most WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editors, which are programs that try to shield you from the HTML code with fancy drag-and-drop interfaces, etc, since I like getting under the hood.

Then again, I only work with a very basic set of HTML tags, since nothing I do requires I get very fancy -- I can muck around a little with CSS, but I don't particlarly enjoy it.

If you look at the comments both in Johansson's blog and the Digg thread, you'll find that the comments in the former (the Web-standards blog) is primarily people commenting "I'm a 4!" "I'm a 5.5!", whereas on Digg, there was actually a debate/fight between people arguing XHTML, XML, SGML, etc.

This is the reverse of what I would have expected. I guess my prejudice is showing.

Thanks -- Joe

Tag:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, neither 3 nor 4 really describes me.  Eh.  The important thing is to be able to make the code do what you want it to do.  More ambitious needs breed increased knowledge - which is probably true of everything. - Karen

Anonymous said...

I'm a solid 4 with the doctype. Now if I can only make myself use a closing / more I'd be on the high side of 4. I still build a freaky nest of divs but I'm closer validating easily with each new template.

Anonymous said...

I'm probably around a 4...and I don't like the WYSIWYG editors either, Joe. I know a little CSS, but I'm not as comfortable with it as I am with HTML.