Friday, June 2, 2006

Journals Editor Joe's Blog Picks for 6/2

Hi everyone -- I'm invoking Editor's Privilege, so I'll be making this week's blog picks. (Then again, it's been a while since I did picks of my own, so I guess I am kind of a "Guest Editor.")

Since I have to do this entry first, I will post my picks to the Journals Main Page and in the Journals Message Board as soon as I finish here.

Now, in case you're not familiar with me or my blog, I'm Joe, the AOL Journals Editor. I work for AOL, and I'm responsible for the content on the AOL Journals Main Page (among other pages). I'm also an Emmy-Award winning editor, as this picture clearly shows*:

*Actually, this photo just clearly shows that pictures can lie; I'm posing with the Emmy Award that AOL won for our Live 8 concert coverage -- it was the first Emmy awarded for Non-Traditional Media, including internet, podcast and mobiles. They gave us a chance to pose with it a few weeks back (I hadn't had an excuse to post it until now).

As part of my job, I figure out ways to encourage people to blog (including people who work at AOL), feature people's Journals, talk about stuff going on in the rest of the big ole sphere o' blogs, help people out with the AOL Journals product, etc.

I set up the Guest Editor's Picks last year (it'll be one year exactly on June 17), where I asked you all to tell us about blogs that deserved to be featured. I figured that having a few thousand eyes out there would be better than just my two (well, four). I think it's worked pretty well so far.

One thing I have noticed, however, looking down my list of previous Guest Editors, is that the list is disproportionately female -- of the 48 Guest Editors to date, there have been 38 women and just 10 men.

Now, I don't have a quota or anything, and I definitely don't want to start some kind of gender war, but a 4 to 1 ratio is a little bit unusual, and I don't think it fully reflects the makeup of the AOL Journals universe.

I'm figuring that the Guest Editor population draws pretty heavily from the Journalers who participate the most in the AOL Journaler community -- the people who post to the Journals Message Board, participate in Blogger John's activities and read my blog. They're a very important, but relatively small group (compared to the entire population of people who use AOL Journals).

Anyway, I thought I would open things up a bit, and dip into my bag of blogs to reach out to a somewhat-underrepresented group: Bloggers who happen to be guys.

Also, since Father's Day is a few weeks away, I figured it would be a good lead-in.

Based on that arbitrary and gender-specific choice, here are my featured blogs for this week (since you already see enough of my face, here's our first-among-equals):

Editor's Pick Blogger Jeff

* Polished Words From an Unpolished Man - Journaler Jeff is a Southerner born and bred; he's into shooting, storytelling, and poetry (especially patriotic poetry).

Jeff also has another Journal, Ol' Shoot's ~N~ Lil' Shoot's Wyld Outdoors, that's a little, um, unusual. It's written as if it were run through the Dialectizer set on "Redneck" (their term, not mine), though he takes no such shortcuts -- it's written natively.

* Larry's Journal - Larry is an actual, live politician: He's a city councilman in the town of Brewer, Maine, and he blogs about stuff going on in the city, as well as his own political opinions.

I've talked in the past about how blogs are changing politics, but Larry here is a real-life example of this. (Would that all of our elected officials were so accessible.)

* Syrophenikon - Petar comes to us all the way from Sydney, Australia. (I didn't realize that they got the Jerry Springer show all the way down there, but apparently they do).

Lately, Petar's been blogging about online relationships and conflict resolution, as well as the World Cup, so stop by and see what's up Down Under.

* Eric's Indie Concert Review Page - As the name of his Journal suggests, Eric has a concert photo blog that covers the indie music scene (including J-Rock, the Japanese rock genre) in New York City.

He's got some great photos of bands that I mostly haven't heard of (since I am out of the scene), playing at venues in NYC that I do know (or have at least heard of).

* Sotto Voce - Duane hails from Tennessee and counts among his interests Sudoku, racing, playing around with photos and politics (of the blue-voter in a red-stater variety).

(And hey, look: He's also taken the plunge into making an AIM Pages profile.)

* Visions of Roses, the Ocean and More - Lastly, rounding out this week's featured picks is the multitalented Richard. He's a prolific blogger, with several Journals focusing on specific facets, including golf tips, editorials, and oh yeah, composing his own symphonies.

So, you see, I haven't forgotten how to do this, after all. I think I will pop in from time to time and inflict my own picks upon you, but don't worry: The Guest Editors Picks aren't going anywhere. I will just supplement them with my own finds (especially those blogs of Journalers who may not be the best candidates for Guest Editor, but whose blogs you might want to see in a different context.)

As always, please leave a comment in the Journals or blogs that you read. Also, don't forget, if you want your own chance at being a Guest Editor, send me an e-mail at JournalsEditor@aol.com. (Please include a link to your blog.)

Have a great weekend, and let me know what you think in the comments.

Thanks -- Joe

Tag:

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Congrats" on being Guest Editor Joe! LOL Great picks you got there! :-)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring Duane's journal.  I've been enjoying his recent series on the Civil War.  It's good to get a perspective from someone who a) knows a ton more about it than I do, and b) is close enough to a battleground to bring back pictures.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for picking Richard (SymphonyComposer). I do know Richard's journals very well and I just love reading about his garden most of all. Richard brings artistic beauty into the world and into the journal community as well. I hope everyone takes a trip to his gardens and reads his talented writing as well. If you're lucky, he may even send you a clip of one of his symphonies.

Angela

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Great selections, Joe. Thanks!

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

Great pick including Jeff (TheShootist1)'s blog.....as you mentioned, he has another one and they are both very interesting and entertaining. Jeff is a talented writer and I love reading his work. DigPrinces

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Great Picks.

Carolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Do people ever tell you that you look the guy who played in Goonies? I just thought you should know.

http://saveasecretaryfrominsanity.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your job. Today, is actually my first time creating a blog. I saw that there were very few men doing, and instead of complaining I decided to make a difference. It seems that I will be learning from some people with lots of experience. I am just a green pea, but I hope to improve with your help. Thanks for doing the picks, as I can learn a lot form them... -Cristo

Anonymous said...

Interesting selection!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe for picking my journal this week in your picks. Wow, I was definitely surprised and its a honour for me. I would also like to thank everyone who has visited my journal in the last few days and have commented. Its all meant alot. Nice journal you have happening here Joe.
Thanks again for the plug and take good care of yourself. Ciao for now.

Petar

Anonymous said...

Joe, thanx much for picking my web site for the week...I sure do appreciate it, and hopefully, many more folks will get to look it over.  Very popular upper this way..
Thanx again Joe..

Larry

larryt39@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Joe~Really enjoyed seeeing that photo of you with AOL Emmy! That concert was a great cause to win it for too! ;-) Deb

http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysEYE

Anonymous said...

for what ever reason most of the blogs I read is by women.. it is rare to come by a blog by a man that can hold my intrest.  I think all of 4 or 5 are by male authors.  So I am looking forward to diving into these weeks picks.. Thanks Joe.

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Joe!  I enjoy reading it!  By the way, I'm not just saying that to earn brownie points so I can be chosen as a guest editor in the near future. ;)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Joe: I have tried to place an article in the local Bangor Daily Newspaper this morning on my Web Page, that you have so graciously picked as one of the best for this week. Unfortunately, it is over the 25000 characters. Hence I cannot place..I will send it along to you and perhaps you can do something more with it. Today is my 67th, so it is kind of an honor.

www.bangordailynews.com

Larry                     June 8, 2006

Anonymous said...

your the bom

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Dwana -- I took a look at your blog, and it looks like there are a long string of non-breaking spaces in your entry on 43 random things: http://journals.aol.com/alphamoon65/MoonlightDrive/entries/2400

They occur at the end of question 10 (the car wash one) -- if you delete those spaces, you blog's layout will return to normal.

(Here are my instructions on how to find out what's making your blog too wide, if it ever happens to you again: http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/771 )

You mention that you cannot go back and edit -- if you e-mail me with more details, I can try to help you with that.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

NICE PIC WITH THE EMMY... CONGTATES TO AOL.CHERYL~ http://journals.aol.com/cste609371/writingsshortstoriesbyStewart/