Monday, April 3, 2006

Stormy Weather Ahead

So, blogger John (at the Scalzi Compound in Ohio) had his brush with rough weather last night, but over here at AOL HQ in Virginia, we just got our own severe thunderstorm/tornado watch, which went into effect at 6pm EDT.

Thunderstorm Weather Alert

While we do get the occasional severe thunderstorm alert, tornado warnings are relatively rare around here, so we're kind of... well, I can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, we're kind of stupid when it comes to this kind of thing.

Take for example, September of 2004. We had a pretty bad thunderstorm (remnants of Hurricane Ivan, IIRC [If I Recall Correctly]), where the rain was blowing sideways in solid sheets and pooling up under the doors.

It was towards the tail end of the workday, but there were still lots of folks around; there was an announcement over the PA that tornadoes were reported in the area, and that we should move towards the center of the building.

So what happens? Of course everyone rushes up and presses up against the huge glass windows to get a better view.

As it turns out, there actually was a tornado that touched down on campus; a few people got video on their camera phones and whatnot. It passed through without hitting anything, though it did wreck a bunch of houses a few counties south of here.

I didn't see it, though not because I was prudent and hunkered down in the basement -- I was probably just looking in the wrong direction.

Anyway, I knew that I had blogged about it at some point, but I couldn't find an entry about it. Doing a quick search in the archives of the Washington Post for "tornado", though, I was able to narrow the timeframe to 2004 (as noted, we don't get that many tornadoes around here, so there weren't that many articles).

Where was I blogging in 2004? Oh, that's right -- The Expressions Factory.

Anyway, more true-life adventures from AOL HQ. Thanks -- Joe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad I live in a tornado free zone!! We only have the occasional volcano to worry about , but that is soo very rare indeed!
~Julie

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I didn't put it together that it was YOU at the Expressions Factory.  I am the biggest goober ever.  

*There's no shame in hiding in the basement, Joe.)  ;)

andi

Anonymous said...

Hope all of you stay safe during the bad weather. We live in a bad tornado area. In fact I was in one myself several years ago. Now the tornado warnings scare me needless to say. Helen

Anonymous said...

Those thunderboomers just came through the south-central PA area (Gettysburg and Hanover). They lived up to expectation, though they were nothing to what happened in the midwest last night.

Stay dry!
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, the younger Mottram got a pic of that 'nado up in his blog. I forget when it was, but I want to say "around baseball's opening day."

Anonymous said...

I have been predicting the weather from dreams: the dream date is April 3rd, 06 then the storm comes 14 days after the dream date plus or minus one day. The storm date will be April 16 to 18, CNY should receive a major storm.

    Ray