Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Journals Release R5 Is Live!

Morning, folks -- Journals Product Manager Susan reports that Journals Release R5 was successfully installed to production early this morning.

I've gotten a report of a problem with AOL Canada Journals, which I have passed along to the tech team, but other than that, we seem to be okay.

Please let us know if you're having any Journals problems.

As I  mentioned yesterday, the primary differences you will see in R5 are:

* The All About Me size limit has been raised from 1,000 characters to 25,000 characters, which gives you a whole lot more room to talk about yourself.

* There's a new Journals Public List Page, which will show you all of your Journals, plus the publicly-available Journals of any screen name that you specify.

The rest of the work was done on the back end, so you probably won't see any difference.

Now that R5 is out the door, planning and development will proceed with the next release (R6), which we'll be discussing as things progress. Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhhhh! Thanks for the increase in the All About Me column!!!!

Lori

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe!
There is something up with the atom feed. On certain Journals where I was subscribed via the atom feed, the atom feed started showing comments. I use Bloglines. I resubscribed and some Journals now have three feeds. Two atom and one RSS.

The atom comment feed is strange as it contains a URL with entries/number/atom.xml
Even though it's a specific entry it appears to show comments from several entries.

The new atom feed contains a new feed title.

This Journal in bloglines (auto-discovery) turns up three feeds:
http://journals.aol.com/aolpictures/AOLPictures/

Your Journal has four feeds in bloglines. The additional one is:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/rssPopup/atom.xml
( Invalid feed - found via Bloglines auto discovery by dropping in your URL )

Seems to be present in the AOL authored product Journals. I've yet to see this on member Journals. I know I'm subscribed to member atom feeds, but only the atom feeds on the product Journals I'm subscribed to started aggregating comments this morning.

Anonymous said...

Great release. One thing I've noticed is that the <center> tag isn't working properly in my about me section. I want to frame all the content in the tag, but to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a larger issue?

Thanks!
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

SepinTX: I have passed your note to the tech folks to see what's going on. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Charley,

The plain <center> tags never worked for me in Journals.

When I center something, I use the p or div tags:

<p align=center>Stuff to be centered</p>

Using the p tags adds line breaks -- you can use the div tag instead:

<div align=center>Stuff to be centered</div>

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the new "About Me" space, Joe!

Hey, any idea when the annoying banner will come off AOL subscribers' journals?  I still find (even though there's a little blurb there stating that the ad has nothing to do with me) it offensive and intrusive.  Keep the ad banners on the AIM folks -- let it be a clear distinction between getting something for free vs. being a paid subscriber to AOL services, yes?

Thanks Joe!
~Dee
www.CrochetingWithDee.com