Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Change Your Blog Style

So, this is kind of a followup on the entry I did last week about the Music I'm Listening To: field.

Currently, Journals offers 3 different styles for your entries: Friendly (the default), Minimal and Professional.

Journals Blog Styles: Friendly, Minimal and Professional

Now, in case you hadn't noticed, they're really not all that different -- the primary differences are just the labeling of the fields and the size of the headline. (To be honest, it's kind of sad -- as I was putting together that graphic, I had to keep checking to make sure I was putting the right label on the right style.)

Personally, I stick with the default Friendly style, since I am outrageously lazy, and I'm also not a fan of how the mood and music fields just sort of float there (though regular readers will know that I don't usually use the mood pull-down.)

Anyway, I know I've said this for a while, but on the list for planned enhancements is true style changes, using Cascading Style Sheets to allow for really dramatic changes of how your page looks and feels -- it's tied in to larger work being done for one of our (and by our, I mean AOL & AIM) main projects, so stay tuned.

Thanks. -- Joe

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I can't wait to be able to use CSS on my journal. I am fairly proficient with the coding, so it's going to be a blast to be able to finally use it in my AOL Journal. :-)

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

Its the mood style I would like to change or be given the opportunity to put our  own ............Jan

Anonymous said...

I think the whole "mood" thing is sooo stupid!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

They need the fourth style... "crazy."

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, I`ll wait and see what happens now. :o)

Sandra

Anonymous said...

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I have a question, Joe.  I started my journal public then went private.  I don't want to delete it but I want to shut it down for awhile for a break.  Is there any easy way to do that without having to remove my readers?  Do I have to remove them all to keep them from accessing my journal?  Is there an easy way to remove them but save the reader's names without having to go thru them all and writing them down on paper?  Thanx for your response.

Anonymous said...

Hi -- sorry, I don't really have a good answer for you on this one. You can remove all your readers pretty easily, but if you want to add them back later on, you will have to keep a list -- I would suggest as a text file, with the screen names separated by commas, so you could add them later on by pasting them in to the "add readers" box.

You could also tell people that you're going on a break in an entry and turn off your comments, but I don't know what exactly you've got in mind.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, will AOL offer an upgrade in the future, where people can view entries in opposite order? Some times with diary entries, its a nice touch for people to read them with the past to present.

Anonymous said...

Hi Raven -- in all likelihood, Journals will not be offering entry display in chronological order -- in the blog world, reverse chronological order (that is, the new stuff goes on top) is pretty much universal.

If a user wants to read in chronological order, they can always go to an entry's direct link, and then click the link near the header to get to the next or previous entry.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)