Thursday, April 27, 2006

Scalzi's Weekend Assignment: Paying for New Music

I've been pretty, um, easygoing when it comes to participating in blogger John's Weekend Assignments, but I was getting ready to promote this week's edition (which is about recent albums you've bought) and realized that I had a photo lying around from a few weeks back that fit the bill pretty well (even though this isn't a photo shoot):

Journals Editor Joe's recent used CD purchases


These represent my second-most recent album purchases -- it's significantly more than three albums, so I will look at it taking the perspective of a single purchase, since it resulted from a single trip to the used CD store (total cost for all nine albums was $33, which I thought was pretty good).

The CDs are:
Depeche Mode, The Singles
Lisa Germano, Lullaby for Liquid Pig
The Shamen, En Tact
Robbie Williams, The Ego Has Landed
Pet Shop Boys, Actually
Dressy Bessy, Sound Go Round
Sigur Ros, Takk
Ivy, In the Clear
Throwing Muses, Limbo

I believe that artists deserve to be compensated for their work, so I'm conflicted when it comes to buying used CDs, since the artist doesn't see a dime (then again, neither does the record label), and purchases on the secondary market don't count towards album sales.

On the plus side, if it was a purchased CD and not a promotional CD, the artist did see money on the original sale.

My third most recent purchase was Beth Orton's new CD at her recent concert at the 9:30 Club in DC. I like buying CDs at concerts, even if they're more expensive, since you know that when you buy stuff off the merchandise table, the artist gets a much bigger chunk of the revenue than when you buy it in the store.

My most recent purchase of an actual, non-used CD was The Legend of Johnny Cash a few weeks ago -- it was one of those backcatalog loss-leaders at a large chain electronics store, so I only paid ten bucks for it.

So, three different types of purchases.

Regarding extra credit: I have bought music off of iTunes, but not a complete album yet.

Thanks -- Joe

Tag:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

3cheers for Johhny C.!!!
~Julie

Anonymous said...

Cash is the best!  The others ... well, I don't even know how they are but I have heard of Depeche Mode.

Happy Listening!

Lori


Who I am… underneath it all:  
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe

My Spiritual Journal:  
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal


Anonymous said...

Joe, isn't that you on the left a few years back?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rZxCrb7iU&search=backstreet%20boys

Anonymous said...

I don't even need to click on that link to know what it is.

And for the record, no.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Take that Pet Shop Boys CD and use it as a coaster for the beer you enjoy while listening to Onyx. I may have got to you just in time.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, my hiphop collection is pretty much a time capsule from the late 90s.

A lot of Public Enemy, some Beastie Boys, and one album each of LL Cool J and Steve Coleman & the Metrics. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

90s are good... hiphop has been B level since about the time Puffy took over for Biggie.

A kid from my high school ended up marrying the Throwing Muses girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to the Depeche Mode concert in 2 weeks! :-)

Anonymous said...

Robbie Williams is cool, Depeche Mode rocks!!! Pet Shop Boys are the coolest. But what about "The Killers", "American HI-FI", or "The Click Five"? Alternative rocks so hard even you have to be in a mosh pit or breaking up with somebody that you meet online or going to the mall & hang out like if you are "totally clueless" of what you're listening to anyway.