Monday, April 10, 2006

Don't Be Stupid

Hi folks -- as part of my continuing series of how not to do stupid things on your blog, here's an item that was on Obscurestore.com on Friday; it seems that a few misguided youths videotaped themselves firebombing an abandoned Air Force hangar; naturally, following the dictum "Sharing Is Caring," they posted the video to a MySpace profile (you can see where this is going, right?), leading to the article headlined: "MySpace video of hangar bombing leads to teen arrests."

If these criminal masterminds aren't enough, the article rounds up a few other recent incidents involving MySpace, blogs, or other social networking tools, including a look at the other side of the law, where six Lexington, Kentucky police officers were suspended for questionable content that they posted online.

In another item, from a listserv here at work, there was an article from over the weekend in the L.A. Times, about one journalist-mom's experiences wranglings over her 13-year-old daughter's MySpace profile. According to MySpace's terms of service, you have to be 14 to set up a profile, so there's a lot of negotiating, not to mention "You're ruining my life!" thrown around as boundaries are pushed and privileges revoked.

It's interesting in a train-wrecky kind of way, though the writer seems fairly adept and nothing really bad happens; plus, she's pretty aware of the fact that her daughter can always do an end-run around her if she wants to.

Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've always had reservations about going to MySpace but this does it ~ Two people told me I should go there and post my poems because the people on MySpace were more my age. All I have to say is - NOT.
Thanks,
Dianna

Anonymous said...

teenagers are sneaky....verrrrrrry sneaky! But when Momma's already been there done that kinda Momma it slows them down tremendously! lol lol lol

Anonymous said...

Well, bad or stupid stuff can happen anywhere. From what I've heard, age groups on MySpace tend to stick together, so the teens ignore the adults, the twentysomethings ignore the teens, etc.

Check out John Panzer's writeup of Danah Boyd's talk about MySpace and other social networks (she visited the Mountain View offices last week); it includes a link to her podcasted talk:
http://journals.aol.com/panzerjohn/abstractioneer/entries/1302

Joe

Anonymous said...

That site is nuthin' but TACKY.  They need to shut it down. Since when do snerty , slutty teens need or deserve free speech?

andi

Anonymous said...

Hi Journalseditor,

I was wondering why when I type my blogs in AOL journals and press enter my text is lost if I don't save it before hand.  What is the reason for this?

Sincerely,
Beyankee