Thursday, April 6, 2006

Change Your Journal's Time Stamp

This is sort of a follow-up on my entry about changing your Journal's style -- a little while back, Suzy from Adventures of Suzy Colorado sent me a question: A fellow Journaler lives on the West Coast, but was getting an Eastern Time Zone timestamp on her Journal entries -- how could she fix this?

I'm not sure how the setting might have gotten messed up, but I checked with the tech folks, and this is how you change your timestamp:
  1. On your Journal's main page, click on the blue "Edit Journal" button
  2. Click the link to "Change the style of your entries and manage comments"
  3. Find the dropdown menu for "Display times in:"
    Edit Style and Manage Comments
  4. Change the time zone to "US/Pacific" (or whatever's right for you)
  5. Click the "Save" button to save your changes.
That's all there is to it.

Looking at the list, we've got the 4 major time zones for the lower 48, plus Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Hawaii, and Samoa.

Arizona, Michigan and Indiana also get separate listings: Arizona, for its stubborn refusal to go to Daylight Savings Time; not sure why Michigan has its own listing, since everything except the Western Upper Peninsula (which is Central time) is Eastern Time, and both follow Daylight Savings; Indiana just went over to Daylight Savings Time, including the four counties in Central time zone, so that listing would seem to be redundant, as well:

Indiana Time Zones

If anyone's blog timestamp isn't showing the correct time because our time zone info is messed up, let me know.

Now, if necessary, I'm sure the tech folks could clean up the time zone listing, though of course, it would have to be done at the expense of other work. What could we drop from an upcoming release in order to make any time zone fixes? How about custom skins/styles? Surely it would be worth losing custom skins/styles so that... okay, okay, stop, I was kidding.

As I've noted before, it never hurts to look at settings or preferences, to see if there's stuff that you can tweak to get it just right for the way you work.

Finally, here's a peek into my creative process -- originally, I was going to make this a big entry describing everything you could change on this particular screen; here's the graphic I did:

Style options circled

As you can see, it is very... oval. I decided to talk about it in smaller chunks, wisely I think.

Thanks -- Joe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like keeping my blog on American Samoan time.

Anonymous said...

Joe, don't even JOKE about dropping our custom skins/styles! LOL

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch