Monday, April 24, 2006

Exclusive: Britney and K-Fed Tried to Destroy AOL Journals!

Hi folks -- as Journals product manager Susan reports in her blog, the outage that we experienced this morning (where we were seeing long load times and timeouts), has been cleared.

It looks like the problem was caused by massive amounts of traffic going to the Luxe Life: Vegas Journal (a celeb gossip blog done by CityGuide Las Vegas and Robin Leach. Yes, that Robin Leach.).

What was all the commotion? It was due to a Welcome Screen promo that linked to an exclusive about a fight between Britney Spears & Kevin Federline.

I kind of wish I was making this up, but it's true.

Now that the immediate crisis has passed (that is, unless you are Brit or K-Fed), the Ops folks will be investigating how they can scale up the hardware to handle these kind of traffic spikes, as well as increased traffic overall.

(I mean, what happens if someone breaks an exclusive story about, say, Brad and Angelina splitting up? One has to take these kinds of things into account. I mean, otherwise, one unplanned celebrity exclusive later and you've got a big smoking crater where the data center used to be.)

As always, in the event of Journals outages, check the Journals Message Boards for updates. (And when we're not having problems, it's a good place to show off your own Journal, as well as meet other Journalers.)

Thanks -- Joe

Tags: , , , ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well to let one blog make such a mess up I find that very hard to believe ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, that whole outage just because of those two? I won't say exactly what I think of them here, but I will say that they have NEVER been on my list of favorite celebrities.  :-X

Anonymous said...

See what happens when baby lets mommy and daddy out of the playpen.

Anonymous said...

ah I had htat problem so did others glad its cleared up

Anonymous said...

and here i thought it was all due to my fabulous writing. silly me.

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

Hey, is that why my entire overpriced hotel room dial-up connection was so horribly slow all night last night? - Karen

Anonymous said...

I'd bet Spears by KO, with some sort of dancer kick.

Anonymous said...

Oh for Pete's Sake!


andi

ps: I'll be staying up until 2am to catch the rerun of Dateline's Jolie interview...I missed the primetime show.