Thursday, April 27, 2006

Children: They're Everywhere!

Okay, I admit it, I'm slow -- I was wondering why there were more kids than usual underfoot at the office today. (Spring Break? No, that already happened. Teacher planning day? Unknown. School canceled because of good weather? [link via fark] Unlikely.)

Seeing as how "Nachos w/Chili, Chicken Fingers & Hot Dogs" are featured menu items today, I figured it was some sort of event, and finally just now realized that today is Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day.

(I gather that the somewhat contorted title -- "Daughers and Sons" versus "Kids" -- is a desire to honor the "Take Our Daughters to Work Day" origins.)

This means I will need to control my frequent and seemingly random outbursts of swearing and desk-pounding.

No doubt this entry would be enhanced by pictures of some of the rugrats, though pictures of young kids (not to mention shy employees) are always a bit more problematic to a corporate blogger such as myself.

Thanks -- Joe 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a silly event, they aren't in school enough as it is and then they all get a day away from it for something so dumb.
~Julie

Anonymous said...

Do what I do. Do a Google image search for children's pictures, and post those on your blog, claiming they're yours. Honestly, I have no idea who that kid I call Matthew really is.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/
p.s. Joe, have you been following the continuing adventures of Flat Scalzi?

Anonymous said...

I think that's so cool that the kids get to take a day to see what mommy and/or daddy does every day. It can also be a learning experience for them, as well! :-)

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It seems these days too many kids are apathetic about what the future holds for them if they stay in school and work hard. Britney Spears and TRL won't pay the bills after they graduate, so it is great AOL allows the munchkins into our pod village so that they can get a taste of what an office environment at a successful company is like.

I remember when I was a teen I got to follow my friend's dad around during a "bring a child to work day." To understand what a work ethic is and illustrate responisbility, I think a lot of times all it takes is for a child to see first-hand what their mom or dad does all day to put food on the table.

Great idea AOL!

Anonymous said...

Ryan, dude, you left a comment without including the link back to your own blog:
http://journals.aol.com/communityeditor/community-forum/

Come on, man, get with the program. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

ruhj0ergemjog

(i don't work, so i let Melissa leave a comment).

Anonymous said...

I wish we would have off due to good weather!