Monday, April 24, 2006

Hey Leadfoot: Drive Slower, Save Gas Money

In today's edition of Al's Morning Meeting, columnist Al highlights an Edmunds.com article entitled 'We Test the Tips', which puts a series of gas-saving tips to the test, which no doubt might be of interest as we head firmly into three-bucks-for-regular land.

(Incidentally, the article was originally published in November of 2005; the national average for gas at the end of November was about $2.10 per gallon, according to GasBuddy.com.  Ever thought you'd be pining for the days of two-dollar gas?)

Anyway, they didn't test any gizmos to stick in your engine or solutions to put in your tank -- just a couple of adjustments to your driving behavior. You can check out the article for details (oh, and so the AOL Autos guys don't come by and beat me with embossed, channel-branded promotional giveaway tire irons, here is the AOL Autos version of the same article).

In short, if you want to save gas:
* Don't drive like a maniac.
* Slow down.
* Use cruise control.
* Don't idle too much.

Unsatisfying, perhaps, but this is physics, not magic.

If you'd like to be a citizen journalist and show your own angle on the gas prices story, check out AOL News's Pictures at the Pump blog.

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reason they didn't test any gizmos to put in your engine, or your tank is because they already knew that those silly things don't work.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Honestly, for me with my pathetic 2000 Dodge Neon, I only saw a $4 price increase to fill my tank. It put-puts around decently at about 26MPG... and yes, I do have a lead foot. I think nine traffic stops later I should have changed to aluminum feet, but I guess "not yet" as we say. ;)

Overall I try to conserve my gas and keep my tires inflated properly, engine running smoothly, and everything "in-check" if you will.

Anonymous said...

Gas prices are just plain ridiculous and they are getting worse instead of better. I can remember when I first started driving, I used to go out of my way to a gas station where their gas was 89 cents a gallon for regular because I remember thinking back then that a dollar a gallon (which was what the station close to me had) was too much to pay. Sure wish we could go back to those days now.

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

On the news tonight it says they are going to do a criminal investigation into the gas prices! YA! I think Bush & his friends are behind this. If so....he better be impeached & put into jail! Actually, send him to Iraq!

Anonymous said...

We won that damn war! Bush sucks. If I were running that joke of a war, I'd be stealing that oil for the people of America. I'd fill the damn Grand Canyon with stolen oil.

I couldn't care less who governs Iraq, and Israel can go pound sand for all I care. The only reason US children should be fighting in Iraq is to ensure an unlimited supply of cheap oil.

Anonymous said...

If you dont aggree with what's going on in the world then save gas.  It's the only real thing that we can do in response to our governments incompetence.  Actually if we went back to a national speed limit of 55mph then we would reduce our dependence on foriegn oil by 5-10% but I dont think that would be to popular ,it being an election year and all.  There is a site that learn how to save gas and make your car more effiecint tell all your friends and who knows maybe we can make a difference.  http://www.sonomabuzz.com

Anonymous said...

I have another way your readers can save money.
I am an inventor. This past summer I received US Patent #7,232,168 for The Baggy Buddy Grocery Bags Carry Handle. It's a simple device that is used to simplify and expedite the carrying and managing of many bulky plastic bags full of groceries. I have them produced locally and sell them from my web site www.BaggyBuddy.com
During the last spike in gas prices I received emails from customers extolling a benefit derived from using Baggy Buddy's that I hadn't thought of. Gas savings. By doubling up on their groceries, a tactic made reasonable with two Baggy Buddy's, they were making fewer trips to the supermarket. One user even did the math. She figured she cut out one trip in three. Or 34 trips a year. With a 12 mile roundtrip to her local supermarket, and gas prices at $3.00 a gallon, she figured she will save about $76.00 a year.
Of course, the amount of money saved will depend on the roundtrip distance an individual has to drive to get their grocery shopping done. But with gas prices heading up to a projected $4.00 a gallon, any trips saved will more then offset the $2.95 I charge for a Baggy Buddy with US shipping included.