Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Waiting for Readers

The other day, I had a discussion with my sister about when it was
appropriate for a restaurant's waitstaff to clear empty plates.

The
topic came up because we had been out to dinner not too long before,
and she was stewing because she felt the waitstaff had been trying to
rush us out because they'd been clearing our empty plates pretty
quickly.

I don't really have an opinion on this, but she cited some sources. Apparently, this is a matter of some dispute within the hospitality industry.

Anyway, all the waitstaff talk reminded me of a blog I was turned on to a while back (I forget the source, sorry) -- it's Waiter Rant, which, as the name suggests, is the blog of a waiter (in NYC, as it happens).

It's
pretty well written, not at all a mindless rant, and for whatever
reason, it seems to have struck a chord with the blogosphere. He's developed quite a following, as evidenced by the number of
comments in his blog.

There are three lessons I want to draw from this:

1. You can write about just about anything, and as long as you write well, people will pay attention to what you say.

2. You never can tell what's going to get picked up and passed around.

3.
There are a lot of people in the blogosphere at large, which means
there's a whole world of potential readers and commenters out there.

Especially
with regards to the last point: I know that blogging is a personal
activity
, and that we do it for ourselves and a close circle of family,
friends and people we've met and all that, but I also just got done
answering a ton of mail from folks asking "How do I get more people to
read and comment on my blog?"

My stock answer says something
along the lines of "Write for yourself, and everyone else who finds you
is a bonus" (which is true, but doesn't really answer their question)
and "Blogging is all about building relationships, so make sure you
participate in other people's blogs -- and really participate, don't
just throw around your URL like some kind of link whore" (I don't say that last
part, exactly), which is also true, but it's not very satisfying,
because it's not a quick fix.

Anyway, just food (booo) for thought.

Thanks. -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Write for yourself, and everyone else who finds you is a bonus" ---->  I have said the same thing in my journal before and to my j=land friends.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Having been on both sides of the issue, I can see why some people would want to increase their readership.  

I remember the days when I had no readers at all, and I have to admit it was a struggle to keep writing.  I felt this need to have some attention, to be part of something, to matter in some small way.  So when I picked up my first 2 readers (both men) I was the happiest chick around.  lol  It didn't matter if I had a thousand readers at that point, because I was happy just that SOMEBODY was taking an interest.  We had a fun time, just the three of us.  It wasn't too long and more people started coming.  I wish I still had that early journal, but in one of those fits that most jlanders have at one point, I deleted it.  My current journal I wouldn't delete if my butt was on fire.  lol

I personally LOVE my readers.  I pray for them.  I care a great deal what is happening in their lives.  They mean the world to me, truly.  

I think quality is MUCH MUCH prefered over quantity any old day.  Thanks for a very thought provoking entry.  I appreciate it.  If you'd ever like to stop by my corner and say hello, that would be wonderful.  :-)

http://journals.aol.com/annalisa135/Simpleyetsatisfying

Anonymous said...

I am totally the opposite, I look at my writing as my own personal outlet.  I don't want to write for an audience, I want to go where I should go, for my own growth.  

Anonymous said...

I recall when I could count the number of "photo journals" on one hand. For the longest time it seemed I was swimming in a sea of aspiring novelists who liked to put up a picture or two every so often. Great people thank goodness.

It took a while, but now I can spend all evening browsing photos on AOL Journals. I do my fair share link sharing and such activities, but there is something to be said for finding one's niche.

Anonymous said...

I agree you should write for yourself. When you write with the intention of having readers, who do you write for? With so many different people in the world, you are not going to have everyone agree with you. You've heard the saying, "You can please some of the people some of the time...." If this does not bother you then you're ok, but if it would, then writing for yourself is best. There are many people in the world, so you are going to have people who believe the complete opposite of you. YAAA! How boring it would be if everyone agreed. The same freedom which allows one to rant about customers, allows one to rant about waiters. Now, I will say attacking people by calling them names etc is uncalled for. Sometimes people feel they know someone when they do not or forget written words is not always the same as talking face to face. Also, we may forget that people many times are really just trying to help from their experience or from their knowledge base, perhaps a lawyer's experience etc.

I certainly love well written pieces, but I have also read wonderful content with poor writing. We have to remember that the majority of society may not be the best writers. We all have different abilities in life. Some can write music but not play or play and not be able to write it. I would not want to say you could not be valued unless you could do both. I'm just thrilled that blogs are available to allow people to write. It is through writing we can improve our writing. My grandfather grew up on the farms & only finished 3rd grade. He signed his cards to me with his full name, not "Grandpa". He was one of the smartest men I know! There are some very young people in JLand. I love reading their entries even though at times it is very difficult to understand. It is wonderful to hear about their lives, interests, and concerns at their age. We should be valuing each & every person not matter what their abilities or inabilities are.

Anonymous said...

old habits of a waiter/waitress die hard, I waited tables back in high school. To this day when out at a restaurant I stack the plates on my table as soon as they are finished, placing all the silverware on the top plate with anything that needs to be scooped into the trash along side it, along with wrappers and napkins on top to cover the mess, I have been known to get up and grab a coffee pot when I am in need of a refill and I being ignored, I detest bad service and am very vocal about it upon leaving. It's just like the old saying, an ex-smoker is the worst kind of complainer and apparently so is an ex-waiter/waitress! lol lol lol

I believe every good writer can gather a following, even if it's has no"hot" topics what so ever.......a good writer can strike a cord with someone.

Anonymous said...

It's all about fork placement. If it's tilted from the table to the plate upside down, they are still using it. If it's on the plate entire, it should be removed.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
amusing and very well written,...boo....
natalie

Anonymous said...

wait:r we still talkin bout drinking in dorms cuz if we are....I think its fine to drink only if u knoew u can contain urself and not do shit that screws up ur life. Srry abercrombiecreek about the whole rape thing...Drinkin can lead to rape so for those of u who get crunk easy and do bullshit...watch the drinks. Everythin in moderation.