Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Agile Software Development and Upcoming Journals Releases

Hi folks -- the tech fix I posted to resolve the
"can't
save entries" problem


seems to be working for most people (please let me know if it doesn't

work for you -- I know there are some folks out there who are still

having some problems, including some odd ones -- problems, not
folks).

Also, I don't have any updates right now on
our other open technical issues or the ad
banner
controversy, so I thought I'd talk a little bit about
the Journals development process, and what it means for
upcoming releases.

(I'd
originally planned to post this last week, but had to table it for
obvious reasons.)

Now, earlier in the year, the
development team had incorporated aspects of agile software
development
, which basically means that instead of saving all
the big changes and new features for one big release
per development cycle (for example, a year or 18 months), we're going
over to more frequent, but smaller releases -- say,
every 4-8 weeks.

(Here is more than you ever wanted
to know about the nuts and bolts of agile
development
from Wikipedia.)

Since it's
pretty much a matter of more, smaller sips vs.
one big gulp,

the end result is about the same: The same overall amount of work is done, and of

course, smaller fixes and maintenance work occurs along the way in
both

cases. So why do it?

Here's a recent
Dilbert
that asks the question a different way:

Dilbert on Agile Development

The advantage of agile development
lies in its...agility.

That is, priorities can be adjusted based on what's going on in the

world, user requests, new technologies, industry trends,
etc.

For

Journals, it pretty much means we'll be rolling stuff out in releases

(hopefully) every 4-8 weeks (and we will be announcing launches before

we do them, which was the plan this time around, only we
botched it).

We're

aiming for monthly (well, near-monthly) releases that extend out

through the first quarter of 2006 right now, though of course all
dates

are tentative and subject to the real
world.

One Big Caveat: It's
always tricky launching stuff at the end of the calendar year, because
we're subject to staff outages, and more
importantly, moratoriums

-- if a launch date slips a day or two into a moratorium, then you
have

to wait until the moratorium is over, which could be days or longer

(like the week between Christmas and New
Years).

Tying specific features to specific releases
is always a risky business,

since features get reprioritized, dropped and generally moved around

all the time, so I won't go into the specifics of each release until
we

get closer to confirmed launch dates.

Things that
are being worked on include (this is a mix of features from different
releases out to February, in no particular
order
):

* Rostering
Improvements:
Manage who can read your private Journal,
simply by picking people or groups from your Buddy
List.
* Tagging: The ability to label posts
for easier categorization
* Moblogging:
Mobile blogging, the ability to add photos, text & even
audio/video from a mobile phone
* Skins:

Something to let you change the look & feel of your Journal
via

customizable skins -- we'll probably have a predefined library at

first, followed later by full user customization
*
Draft Posts:
Saving drafts of entries
*
Shared Journals:
Multiple authors can post to a Journal, or
group blogging.
* Other Things: Making it
easier to blog about someone else's blog entry ("Blog
This
"); improving the help resources;
making sure we ping blog search engines (so your
blog entries get picked up in searches and feeds); and making it
simpler to show your online presence in your
blog.

Also, I am trying to get an increase to the
"All About Me" character limit squeezed in somewhere.


I'm cherry-picking

the stuff that I think will be of most interest to you (I'm guessing

you don't care as much about the infrastructure stuff, as long as we

don't break anything). I don't see anything on the map that's likely
to

generate any controversy (unlike the ad
banners).

Anyway, like I

said, I will be talking more about specific features in specific

releases as we get closer to the dates, so hopefully I will be able to

tell you more about what we're going to get with R3
in December.

Let me know if you have any questions
or technical problems with the current
release.

Thanks -- Joe

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, any word about the 8 point font in the alerts yet?  still people going blind out here

Anonymous said...

oh now i ld love to put vidoe in my journal. SOunds like this would allow that.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe....I am all for improvements.  Thanks for sharing.  I really like the sleek looks that blogspot has and like their "skins" suggestions.  I have a journal there but I'm keeping the AOL one too for now.  I'm afraid to jump ship.  I really like AOL and it's been good to me.  I'm sitting on the fence.  Can't a girl have it all? Maybe I'll just have two journals.   I guess so.  
Anyway, I like the about me space increasing...you know how much we like to talk about ourselves.  LOL.  
Thanks for spell check.  Pass that on.  I know you guys need some good feed back now that we've all complained so much.  I still don't like the ads and think it takes away from the beauty of the journal which is kinda like a piece of art for each person.  That is why it's invading.  I do hope they change their mind about me.  Til then, I will have two journals til I decide which way to hop for sure.
Appreciate the updates.  Look forward to them.  Thanks!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks joe most of this is greek to me

Deb

Anonymous said...

Not interested because those ads are still on my journal.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I'm very happy to hear about the planned improvements to our journal space. While the ads are frustrating, I know that working to better the whole of our AOL community is far more important, even as AOL moves toward an open portal business model.

I look forward to what's coming next.
With peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

which basically means our journals are never going to work right again since they STILL aren't working right after the LAST release.
You can tell them to get these ads off my journal now, and is the archive issue being worked on?
judi

Anonymous said...

  Here's a question. As an owner of an international journal, I have not received any of the R2 update. That means no ads (yay), but it also means no spellcheck, or other features and fixes. So...how come I don't get the upgrades, but I still get the problems, like the screwed up archives? Heck, we still don't even have a full roll out of the R1 update, and my archived entries still get pushed way down the page to the end of my archive sidebar. Are we just going to keep falling behind the rest of the service in terms of available features? Who can address the question of the international journals upkeep?
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Mmm... I am definitely looking forward to tagging - I've noticed it on non-AOL blogs and have been rather impatient over the fact that I do not yet have this capability. Also, the group blogging is a plus.

Now, if we can just get rid of ads on the blogs of paying AOL members.

-CG/Hannah (http://journals.aol.com/tehfifthfeather/affected)

Anonymous said...

Wow... looks like AOL Journals might actually get a lot of the features of others. I've noticed Blogger has most of these... Oh, but they don't have the ads... Hmmmmm..... I'm currently keeping my AOL Journal open because I have a lot invested in it, but I'm also still waiting for AOL to officially address our concerns/suggestions about the Banner Ads.

I hope for your sake the next rollouts don't have the technical problems (and customer service <g>) ones that this one did.
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Will I have to start a new journal for a shared blog, or can I just authorize people? Cool innovation, btw...

Anonymous said...

Two weeks ago I would have been excited by your post.  I would have said 'Wow!  AOL really does care about improving its services for its members!'  Now I can't help but think that they are only offering those options to make a prettier package for their advertisers to display their banner ads on.  You know, sprucing up the neighborhood.
Yeah, I still have my journals, I made most of them public today.  But there's no pride in having a journal here any more.  These journals were our way to express our individuality.  Have you seen them?  I mean really seen some of them?  They're awesome!  They're so professional looking.  Or at least they were, until the introduction of those tacky banners.  
I saw a home page yesterday.  It had the solar system as a background.  It was gorgeous.  The topper that displayed the banner ad, with its little pixel clouds just killed the whole presentation.
I'm trying to be enthusiastic, really I am.  But its not too hard to see through the scheme of things any more.  Very disappointing indeed.
And when are those people from the upper echelon going to make an appearance and give us an offical response?  Their lack of concern speaks volumes.  Are they really so callous as to leave the issue hanging over the long weekend?  Such poor management of customer/ memership relations.  Surely you see that even if they don't.  

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,
See if they can work on a way to add more choices to the mood or "feelings" section... ya know, like the word "tired" isn't there and that's often the one we're looking for.  I love the idea of them adding more space to the All About Me section.  
Lisa

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/  

Anonymous said...

Oooh...shared blogging! This will be an answer to prayers for me. I am working on a service learning project for my reading students starting next quarter. They will (hopefully) partner with middle school students to create an online journal. Having this readily available will put my students at ease, especially since I already know a lot of the quirks of AIMJournals.

Jess
http://journals.aol.com/aurielalata/CIWTheOtherInvisible

Anonymous said...

Is there any way to give us more HTML areas like there is on blogspot? I like the ability to edit everything instead of just being able to chose colors.
Felicia

Anonymous said...

h