Monday, November 7, 2005

Arrrr.

So, I was a little surprised to find out this morning that my picture was on the People Connection main screen:

Joe the Pirate on People Connection Main

Ron and company chose the photo (which I had used to illustrate a blog entry about Talk Like a Pirate Day) to anchor (ugh) a story about a cruise ship that escaped a real-life pirate attack.

Updated: The story gets even more interesting -- the writeup in BoingBoing links off to a Sunday Times (U.K.) article, which says that the cruise ship used a sonic weapon to repel boarders:
"The
liner used a sonic blaster to foil the pirates. Developed by American
forces to deter small boats from attacking warships, the non-lethal
weapon sends out high-powered air vibrations that blow assailants off
their feet. The equipment, about the size of a satellite dish, is
rigged to the side of the ship."
Arr. -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are getting even after you focused in on my photo and showed off all my wrinkles LOL. I paid them!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

Yeah, right, Joe.  We know you dress like that everyday.....you don't have to hide it anymore:)

Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://www.bigoven.com/~swibirun

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaaaaaaahahaha..... Oh, sorry:):):) judi

Anonymous said...

So now exactly WHERE did you say you went a few days ago?

:D

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

"the non-lethal weapon sends out high-powered air vibrations that blow assailants off their feet."

And I thought the movie Minority Report was science fiction...
That is sooo cool!
-Paul

Anonymous said...

I still don't see pictures there.. the "ghost" of where they go.. but no pictures!  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I hope they bought you lunch. Too funny.

On another note, is it ethical of AOL to use member photos submitted in one context, like a feature, elsewhere at a later date? I'm thinking of one certain animated GIF I see when I visit the Journals page when not logged onto AOL.

I understand the usage agreement, I'm just wondering about the ethics of reuse or repackaging of member submitted photos.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Is that what you mean by secret weaponsof misinformatin??? No kidding youare Kidding right???
and then I am with Paul that Poof! stuff they say happened is magical huh?
natalie