Thursday, March 1, 2007

Thursday Journals Status and Leeks on Lapels

Morning, folks. Happy March. It's also St. David's Day -- he's the patron saint of Wales. Apparently Welsh men wear daffodils and, um, leeks (yes, the onion-ish vegetable) on their lapels, in celebration.

Here's the current status on some AOL Journals issues:

* AOL Blogs main page redesign: It's up, and it's good. Check it out at http://peopleconnection.aol.com/blogs.

The module that displays your current Journals is still there, plus we've added displays of the Most Commented Blogs from the previous day, and a auto-generated list of Recently Updated Blogs.

I will do a fuller writeup this afternoon with some screenshots and explanations.

* Comment Added and New Entry Alerts: We saw some Alerts non-deliveries yesterday, though I appear to be getting all of mine today. Please let me and Journals Product Manager Stephanie know if you still have Alerts delivery problems.

* Private Journal Rostering Bug: There's a bug with adding or removing people from your Private Journal, but it only applies if you don't have any screen names on your IM Buddy List.

Rostering (which says who can and can't read your Private Journal) talks to your Buddy List -- when you go to "Add Readers" in your Private Journal, there's an option that says "Allow everyone on my Buddy List to read my Journal."

We made a change this week that introduced a new bug -- if you don't have any screen names on your Buddy List, it won't let you add names to your Private Journal's roster.

Until we get a fix in, there's an easy workaround for this: Add a screen name -- any screen name, even your own -- to your Buddy list. Then you'll be able to add people to your Private Journal's roster.

* Journals Owner's Buttons not appearing: This one has been persistant and is kind of annoying, where people using the AOL software go to their Journals, but don't see the owner buttons (primarily the "Add Entry" button).

It seems to be disproportionately affecting AOL UK Journalers, though I'm not sure if it's because there's an issue with AOL UK authentication and Journals, or if they're just more vocal about it.

Some affected folks report that doing a Windows XP system restore going back about a week fixes the problem. I also continue to suggest that clearing your footprint (which empties your browser cache, cookies, AND your TopSpeed cache -- which is another, separate cache unique to the AOL software) may help.

Affected users report that using an external Web browser seems to help, which indicates that any problem is most likely stems from how the AOL software talks to the authentication bit of things, which tells Journals that you are the blog's owner and that you should see the buttons.

If you're continuing to be effected by any of these issues, or have other Journals problems, please let me and Stephanie know.

Thanks -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blogs main page... I like the part that features AOL members.. I just saw Mosie's blog on it. I bet that will get people more visitors to their journals. Nice to see someone listening up there...

Anonymous said...

Yes I am still affected by the Add Entry Button and Edit Journal buttons being missing.  I did a system restore, it only lasted for one entry before the buttons disappeared again.  It is not just UK journallers because I know for a fact that U.S. journallers have been affected as well.  I have cleared my cache and cookies as you suggest, that has made no difference either. Not all people remember to read your journal, there could be others affected that have not reported it.  I have tried everything you have suggested and I do not like using Firefox. There must be some way of solving this problem?????????

Anonymous said...

I'm not having a problem with the owner buttons, but I'm having a problem with the "sign on" button not showing up on my journal.  I'm using IE, and usually it shows up on the top of the page above the ad, but it's gone!  I have to go to the AOL main page just to sign in.  Grrrrrrrrrr.  Let me know if you hear anything about it!

Annie =)

Anonymous said...

Annie -- The sign on button you mention is in the header, or "hat" -- we were having some problems with it earlier today, but it should be back now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Also reported it to the Pictures people, but the Add Pictures button doesn't work in Firefox 2.0.0.2. I think the last upgrade to Firefox (about a week back) put a spanner in the works.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Things do seem to be better!!  Thanks Joe!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Guido -- Firefox 2.0.0.2 is a little less responsive for me, too. Not sure what's going on with AOL Pictures.

Also, looks like the hat problem may not be completely licked yet. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I am still using file manager and have had no problems with pics.  Btw, how exciting... I was #4 on the list of most commented on blogs!  Yay!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I've been off and on affected by the owner buttons not showing up on my journal - seemed that reloading the journal a time or two helped me.  
Thing is now the add pics from hometown isn't showing at all, when I do wish to make a entry & add a photo or graphic.