Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Are You Pro- or Anti-Liveblogging?

The Wall Street Journal had an item on Friday talking about liveblogging: "The Minutes of Our Lives: Small, Private Moments Get Live Blog Treatment; Notes from a Funeral"

If you're not familiar with the term, liveblogging is just blogging about an event as it's happening.

At its rawest form, it's kind of like a chat transcript, only in blog form. You can do it in one big entry that you keep updating, or you can do it in lots of little, bite-sized entries.

People can liveblog about anything, though you typically see people liveblogging during events like conferences and seminars, and TV shows (especially things like awards shows, which really don't require all that much... thinking).

I've mentioned a bunch of times that I'm not a good liveblogger, since I blog at a more, um, deliberate pace. (How deliberate? I went to a conference last month and I still haven't blogged my notes yet. I suck.)

My rationale is that I prefer doing more analysis and editing, and if I do that, it means I'm not paying as close attention to what's actually going on. So I agree with this sentiment from the article:
"Many agree that it's hard to fully participate in an event if you're trying to compose pithy, thoughtful notes at the same time. Some academics say the live posts are the latest twist in the decades-old conflict between living in the moment and memorializing it from behind a camera lens, only worse. "People who are live-blogging are psychologically more distant from the event," says Clay Shirky, a professor of social software at New York University's Interactive Telecommunications Program."
Not to say that liveblogging can't be a useful tool, even for a slowpoke like me. If I'm taking notes on my computer, I'm typing away anyway. So it's mostly a mental thing -- I don't like posting unfiltered stuff, even if I would clean it up and tie it all together in a followup entry later.

Anyway, even if you're not a liveblogger, you can enjoy the fruits of those people who are. And you don't even have to consume liveblogs as they happen. For example, I've never followed along with Dave Barry's '24' liveblogging in real time, but I always check it later during the week -- it's a fun way to see people's immediate reactions. So I guess you can say I'm a liveblog consumer.

On the other hand, liveblogging your own personal, real life event, like a wedding, funeral or birth? That just seems psychotic to me.

Does blogging about a real-life event inhibit your ability to fully experience it? Leave a comment and share your thoughts.

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may sound crazy and is most likely incorrect.... but I think I may have invented Liveblogging with my 2004 AOL All Star Game coverage, which was done inning-by-inning.

I'm serious... and while Mottram had the idea, I was the force behind it. If it can't be disproven, you should help publicize my ass... it makes us ALL look good.

Anonymous said...

Inhibit?  No way.  It makes you more aware of what is happening, so you can record it.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't inhibit my ability to fully experience the event.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Hello, My name is Monica. I am a AOL user. I have a account under my boyfriends account. I was going to start me a blog page, and then I decided not too. I have a blog page on Yahoo 360. Is this just like Yahoo 360? I was just wondering, cause if it is I would love to make one on here. Let me know. Thank. Monica

Anonymous said...

Don't see the harm. Sometimes writing about an event can enhance your enjoyment of it, but it's very personal.

Anonymous said...

I would not blog my whole life to the world. I think this is bogus and narsism to the nth degree. I feel sorry for the people that have to do this.  They in my opinion must be very lonely.
Vicky

Anonymous said...

I am not Pro or Anti. This is something I would personally not do. I feel a bit of sympathy for these people that think they must share everything in their lives with the world.  As if they are telling the whole truth. They must be very lonely and have a great need for attention.
Vicky