Monday, March 12, 2007

Slushpile: Icy Sandwiches and Online Dating Coaches

Hi folks -- hope you had a good weekend. Enjoying that extra hour of daylight?

Here are a few items from my slushpile links that I didn't get to last week:

* From the blog of the local free alternative weekly Washington City Paper, here's an item about the Good Cold Sandwich at Roy's Place, a sandwich shop in Gaithersburg, MD. It consists of ice cubes on a sub roll, which is apparently about as appetizing as you can imagine.

On the plus side, it's only $1.235, and it gives you an excuse to crunch your ice.

* The Sunday New York Times featured online dating coaches, who help people with their online dating photos, profiles and strategies, at rates from from $49 all the way to $2,000. That's some good coin, although I suppose the downside would be dealing with all the unlovable lonelyhearts out there.

Here's a freebie, before you plunk down any money: For the love of gosh, at least pick a good photo. Preferably one of you, well-lit, in focus, and not from a group shot where people can't tell who you are (this is doubly-true if your friends are better-looking than you).

The article also gives some other freebies, including setting yourself apart by avoiding generalities (giving examples of what makes you _______, instead of just saying "I'm _______"), and not being too picky in your initial selection criteria.

To that, I would add: Avoid cliches at all costs. I was one of the folks who went through AOL Rate-a-Buddy submissions a while back, and I swear that 90% of people said "I like hanging out with friends" or "I like having a good time."

Gee, as opposed to all the folks who hate hanging out with friends or having a good time?

Also, on Washington DC's Craigslist, there used to be something of a sport of making fun of people (actually, I think it was just women) who used the phrase "looking for a partner in crime." People, people: Unless you're robbing banks and need a getaway driver, please never ever use this phrase.

(Also, does anyone truly like long walks on the beach? Walking in sand makes my calves hurt.)

Thanks -- Joe

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roy's place is a classic, been around G'burg. for many years (even if that's not one of their sandwiches I even knew about).   Have to laugh at your online dating advice.....  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I have walked thousands  of miles along beaches. The trick is to stay close to the tideline :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

This has nothing to do with this entry, I just wanted to thank you again for doing what you do. I keep reading your journal, and I keep learning. Naturally, I have to read it three or four times, becasue I have the memory of a mirror. My latest feat, I can now add stand alone pictures to my journal. Now I'm only 2.5 years behind everyone else. Thanks !

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe? When are we gonna get out journal and comment alerts back? I mean....it helps you know? My inbox is empty. I may need therapy now! I feel so alone. Tammy

Anonymous said...

I agree that some people need a good place to recieve advice but I threw away "first impressions" along time ago. Not due to a negativity vibe or feeling, its just few are who they are or appear they are. Its a rare gem that is. The best dating coach in the world doesnt behold a crystal ball. ~Raven

Anonymous said...

That was very well said! Anyway, I would want to share you  my blogs about Online Dating too. I hope you'd take time to visit my blog as well at http://www.dansdatingblog.com

Tell me what you think also ok!

Anonymous said...

Interesting article.

I also have interesting articles about men, women, dating, online dating, etc. Check out my blog at http://www.adultdatingpost.com

Feel free to comment on my entries. =)