Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tuesday Slushpile: Geography Quizzes, Dumb Mistakes and Homophonia

Hi folks -- sorry I've been slack lately; I have a
lot of catching up on stuff and entries that I need to get to. You can see
some of what's pending, mooted, or otherwise not gotten to yet in the
slushpile-tagged
items on my del.icio.us
account.



A couple of items that I do want to get to:


* Geography Quizzes: Over the weekend, blogger
John mentioned a 50 U.S. states in 10-minutes quiz
that was
going around (it's located
here
) -- you can add to that 53 African Countries in 10
Minutes
(I did horribly), and
245 Countries in 10
Minutes
(it's apparently a
little finicky
when it comes to full names of nations and
spellings and such -- I haven't even attempted it yet.)


(FYI, all of these quizzes use Ajax,
which is a way to do dynamic Web content without having to reload the
page every time something changes.)


* 5
Common Mistakes That Make You Look Dumb
-- in a
medium where you are primarily known by you're words, cutting down on
silly spelling and grammar misteaks helps people focus on the dumb
things your actually saying on purpose, rather than by accident.
(There were three deliberate errors in that sentence. Did you catch them? Link via Digg,
which at times is the poster child for people who don't care about
spelling, grammar, punctuation or typing without swear
words.)


* Riffing on that theme, check out the Homophoner, which
converts text into its homophonic equivalent (words that sound the
shame, but have different meanings and spellings). For example, "If you
give it some text, like here," it will give back:
If ewe give it sum text, like hear.
It's brain-melting, but fun. (Link via NYT blog Pogue's Posts)

There's plenty of other stuff in my slushpile,
so check it out.


Thanks -- Joe

Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw two there but then 1 below (same & not shame) but the first time I read it I didn't see them & that is what I show in my perception chapter...we tend to read what we think it should be & that is why we don't pick up mistakes. There are some famous passages you can use to could the number of "the's" etc.

Anonymous said...

I caught the mistakes right away. Can't help it, I used to help grade papers for teachers.

Anonymous said...

Homophoner would be good if it took whatever you said, and made it sound like Jack from Will and Grace. I'd pay concert money to watch someone like Dr. Dre use it.