Friday, March 9, 2007

Final Call for Code-Names and More Friday Blogplugs

Hi all -- here's another round of blogplugs, which are entries that people have labeled with the tag (you can see everything else that shares that tag, just by clicking the tag link):

* Journals Product Manager Stephanie reminds us that you have until midnight tonight to submit your ideas for AOL Blogs 2.0 code names.

It looks like some of you are a little unclear on the concept -- we're not looking for a motto or slogan -- we need a new naming convention for the AOL Blogs product releases in 2007, and we're looking for your help.

In the past, Journals releases (which is how we roll out new features, changes, etc. -- they've been happening around every 6-10 weeks) had unimaginative names like R9, R10 & R11.

So, instead of R12, R13, and R14, we're looking to actually give the upcoming releases names (they're just internal code names, so they won't show up anywhere in public -- just on internal docs and schedules and stuff like that), and we want themes for those names (there have to be at least 3 names for each theme).

Stephanie used the example of a Top Gun-theme: In that scenario, the Journals product releases would be code-named "Goose," "Maverick," "Iceman," etc.

So, for example, a theme could be your kids' names (assuming you have at least 3 kids). If your kids' names are Susan, Rasheed and Rumpelstiltskin, the first AOL Blogs release would be code-named "Susan," the next release would be "Rasheed", and the third would be "Rumpelstiltskin."

You can suggest anything, as long as there are at least 3 names in the series. NASCAR drivers. States. Norse gods. Favorite body parts. Presidents. Donuts. Anything you want.

If you have your own suggestion for code-name themes, don't tell me -- leave a comment in Stephanie's blog entry by midnight tonight, ET. We'll highlight 10 finalists and put up a poll.

* Journals Technical Project Manager Leona shows off the Journals & Polls teams sporting some really loud t-shirts.

* Paul says to check out the results of the 34th edition of CarnivAOL, which is being guest hosted over at The Light's On...But No One's Home.

* Indigo is a self-described outspoken deaf Cherokee woman who blogs about topics ranging from animal cruelty to domestic violence over at Raven's Lament.

If you have an entry of your own or someone else's that you want to blogplug, just send it to me or use the tag

Thanks -- Joe


Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally just went over there to Steph's blog and kicked ass.

Q:

When they send you one of those pop-ups when you try to log on when you have an outstanding balance, how long can I ignore it before they zap me off AOL totally? I have to get that faster-than-the-dialup type of Internet, and it may take me a few weeks to figure out how to get/do/install etc... and I'd hate to lose my Buddy List. "Figuring out how to install and use broadband(?)" is Plan A.

If I have to hurry, Plan B involves calling the office at like 9:01 AM on a Monday and screaming at them in French. That works better than you'd think it would.

Plan C is "I was getting comped by a guy who is dead now, because Jess Atkinson insulted me on AOL Radio. Appearantly, Bob didn't Swayze back to Dulles to renew my free AOL."

I'd hate to throw BW to the wolves so I can save 1/10000th of my yearly income, but I bet he'd be howling laughter at the Atkinson reference.

Plan D is the Leonsis Niece story, which works for multiple TOS violations. I know Lowell inside-out.