Wednesday, March 7, 2007

This Better Be Winter's Parting Shot

Snow on the AOL Dulles campus
More snow.

So, the snow that was supposed to snarl the morning commute here in the D.C. metropolitan area? It's arriving now, just in time to snarl the evening commute.

We're only supposed to get an inch or two (or that's what the liberal weather media establishment would have you believe), so if we get snowed in, I'll tell you right now: I have half a sub in the fridge and a plan for raiding candy from people's cubicles, but if it comes down to cannibalism, remember: The weak and the slow are the first to go.

I took this opportunity to try to get some falling snow photos. I haven't had much success; it's hard to pick out the snow flakes so that they look like more than just "noise."

At the suggestion of my cow-orker Jason, I lengthened the shutter speed and turned down the exposure levels, and this is what I got:

Snow on the AOL Dulles campus
The hallway on the left leads to HQ.

Snow on the AOL Dulles campus
Signs at the traffic circle.

Snow on the AOL Dulles campus
Flagpole shot.

 If you see spots in the foreground, it's melted snow on the window. This is because I was inside. Why was I not outside? Two reasons:

1. I don't have a lens hood to protect the camera from falling snow.

2. It's really cold outside.

Thanks -- Joe

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I am SO with you on this. Enough already!

Anonymous said...

It snowed five inches here in PA.  You are lucky you only got that much snow!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

We got a dusting here in Northeast PA...but it was 5 this morning.  I can't wait until next week--they're calling for 50s!

Annie =)

Anonymous said...

AOL has once again taken the picture albums out of my journal, and it's about to be AOL's last shot.

Anonymous said...

I'll settle for a state, but may I ask where you were raised?

Anonymous said...

Monponsett: New Jersey. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Mosie1944:  Can you send me a link to an entry of yours that's missing the AOL Pictures integration? Was it a YGP album or an embedded photo from YGP?

Also, if you go to pictures.aol.com and look in the Album view, do you still see the albums in your "My Journal Albums"

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

I did an important entry today and I have not received ONE comment alert despite having had well over forty comments.  Please when are you going to get these journal problems sorted.  I have had enough, if you read my entry you will see why I cannot cope with all this hassle at this time.

Anonymous said...

Something is wacky today with pics in blogs... they won't show... embedded or in aol pics... very weird.

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Jersey people should know that what you have there is frost, not snow.