Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Reporting Problems With Alerts

I've gotten several reports recently from Journalers who haven't been getting New Entry or Comment Added Alerts. In talking to the Alerts team, it looks like there have been some problems with one or more of the back-end Alerts delivery servers (there are a bunch of servers involved in the delivery of Alerts).

Not all servers and users are affected, so your reports will help them fix any problems.

If you're having problems with Alerts non-delivery, before you report a problem, it would help if you can check the following things first:
  1. Go to http://alerts.aol.com (where you can see and manage all your Alerts subscriptions):

    Alerts Main Page

    How many Alerts do you currently subscribe to? It should tell you in the Quickview, which shows your 4 most recent Alerts subscriptions, and the number of your total subscriptions. (I have 17 right now.)

    If you have more than 200 Alert subscriptions, that would be a problem -- there is apparently a soft limit of 200: If you have more than 200 Alerts, you'll need to get them down under 200.

  2. Next, click the My Alerts tab, which will take you to a screen that shows all of your Alerts:

    Alerts Control Panel Screenshot

    You'll see the Alert name, followed by a status button (that will be green for "On" or red for "Off"). If you get Instant delivery, you'll see an AIM icon, and if you get E-Mail delivery, you'll see a little envelope icon. (People who set up Mobile delivery will see an icon for that, too.)

    Make sure the status of your Alert shows the green "On" button, and the delivery method you want (usually e-mail) has an icon next to it. To make changes to your delivery method, click the blue pencil "Edit" Icon.

  3. If your status is "On" and the delivery methods you want are on, try resetting the Alert by turning the status Off and On again.
If, after doing all that, you're still having Alerts problems, please leave me a comment or send me a mail, with the screen name you're using, and I will pass them to the Alerts team.

Thanks -- Joe

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed my comment alerts aren't working this evening, but that's no big deal to me.  And I don't need entry alerts unless it's a private journal, because I've moved all my journals to Bloglines.  I much prefer it.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

My problem this afternoon is from your journal where I have had at least 6 alerts on the last entry and mine where I had an alert from the same person about 6 times on an earlier entry. Helen

Anonymous said...

Using feedreaders like Bloglines are a good idea, especially if you subscribe to large numbers of blogs. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I have done all you suggested and still not getting alerts.  I only have 182 alerts so I'm well under the 200.
~Dana

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe... I had over 200 and as soon as I went in and started clearing things out I got a barrage of alerts... comment alerts from earlier today that never came thru so they must have been hung up some place.  I will keep you posted if it continues.  LOL  Like you didn't already know that.
thanks
d

Anonymous said...

Joe I'm cofused, what is the difference between instant delivery & email? If I don't have the envelope showing, does that mean I don't recieve that persons alert in my mail?
Sug

Anonymous said...

OK thanks....I had over 200.  I guess it counts even if the alerts are off?
Also, is there any way to know who has "signed up" for alerts to OUR journals?

nancy

Anonymous said...

ok thanks have sorted that out and see what happens - its more that Im not getting my own entry alerted to people than anything. Laine xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/elainey2465/art-degree/

Anonymous said...

Joe,

All my journal entries are now showing the same picture??? Anyone else out there experiencing this?

Anonymous said...

Just one suggestion for somewhere down the road, it might help in resetting alerts if they programmed an ALL ON/ALL OFF button in there too.

I don't see that function in there at the moment.

Anonymous said...

NightmareMom -- I'm not sure if getting 200 is the reason your Alerts started flowing again (the Alerts folks were also doing some work), but it probably didn't hurt.

Sugar -- Instant delivery is the form that pops up that kind of looks like an IM. Mail delivery is just a regular e-mail. If you don't have the little envelope icon, showing, you're not going to get an e-mailed Alert, so please make sure you see the envelopes. (posted & mailed)

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Nancy -- I believe inactive Alerts subscriptions also count to the 200 limit. Also, currently there's no way to see who or how many people subscribe to your Alert (I agree it would be a good feature, at least the how many bit). -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Jimmy -- I thought you could turn all off/on via the Settings link, but it looks like you're right. It would be useful. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Joe....I'm now getting most of my alerts by email but I'm not getting any instant alerts.
~Dana

Anonymous said...

I only have 2 alerts set up.  I get them online but they do not get sent to my cell phone.  I have tried all that you suggested and called verizon.  Verizon checked and I should be getting them.  I got the code from aol to activate and then typed in the code but no  alerts on the cell.  I have a verizon lg 5200 mac computer. aol 5.0 and cable connection updated netscape, safari and foxfire web browers.  I tried to contact AOL but they won't help me since I'm on the free plan.
Can you tell me the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

i have 2 alerts for email and i have not been getting them for the last 24hrs. why?

Anonymous said...

I'm not getting email alerts either.  I have it set up to give me a mobile alert. Other types of AOL alerts are coming through to my mobile device.  The last date I got an alert for email was 8/29.   I have done some test emails today (8/31) that are set up to alert and none of them are sending alerts.   I even deleted the mobile number and re-registered the mobile device to no avail.  It did send the authorization code to the phone immediately to complete the registration, but still no alerts coming through. Is anyone aware of the problem? Who can we report it to?????

Anonymous said...

Hi folks -- I've asked the Alerts team to please look into the most recent problem reports. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Im NOT getting alerts to my cell phone...please help!!!  I only have 2 alerts set up and neither of them are currently working...

Anonymous said...

None of my alerts are working either.  I should be getting a pop up notification along with my cell phone being alerted but in the past week I they have not been working..  Thanks for your help. charlies10

Anonymous said...

Hi all -- you had me confused for a bit -- I'm primarily looking at problem reports for AOL Journals New Entry and Comment Added Alerts, but I passed your reports on to the Alerts team -- they say that the Mail Alerts are down and they're working on fixing the problem.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I just recently set up alerts that I should be receiving on my mobile phone. I have tried everything, followed the directions to a "T" (several times), turned the "Status" from "On" to "Off" to "On", repeated that, then logged off then on before turning the alert back on... NOTHING!

I have tested this alert multiple times. These alerts are for automated emails from on online scheduling system for my business so reliability and prompt delivery are an issue.

1) Am I missing something?

2) Are these problems common?

3) Should I be looking elsewhere?


Thanks... I've been looking for answers and you're it.


Tim

Anonymous said...

OK, I tried everything here and nothing works. I tried to update my blog and you might see it has been about a year since I have been able to post anything. I travel alot and would love to post my stuff, but nothing here is working...

Anonymous said...

I have tried everything you suggested and a few more and still am not getting any alerts.  Joni

Anonymous said...

I'm not getting alerts for entries or comments...none.  This has gone on for three days.  Is aol broken again?

Russ