Tuesday, March 6, 2007

About Journals Message Boards & Public List Pages

Okay, I admit it -- I haven't really been in the Journals Message Boards for a while -- I was poking around a little just now, since I just re-added a link to them from the sidebar of the redesigned Blogs main page. (We're cleaning up and tweaking a few things from last week's redesign.)

Playing around a bit, I noticed:

* Clickable message board signatures are back. How long has that been the case? I know that the disappearance of hyperlinks in sigs was an irritant for most folks, especially Journalers. (It's a good way to tell people about your blog, without getting all up in their face about it.)

* Our previous problem, where journals.aol.com URLs were breaking (because the message boards product  was "helpfully" adding "www." to the beginning of all hyperlinks, whether it needed them or not), seems to be better.

At least, it doesn't appear to be doing it in all cases.

If you manually create the hyperlink in a board post (I note that the popup box where you paste in  the URL was getting blocked by my AOL popup blocker), the links seem to work, though I see some recent posts in the boards where the extra "www." seems to have been automatically added.

Guess I'm a little bit out of touch when it comes to the boards (the blogging keeps me busy enough).

So how long have these two items been fixed?

Lastly, here's a reminder -- if new folks post in the boards, and forget to post their blog's address, you can see their public blogs by going to their public list page; the address of any Journaler's public list page is:
http://journals.aol.com/screenname
So, for example, my screen name is journalseditor, so my public list page address is
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor
It shows this blog, and a test blog. I have some other private test blogs, but you won't see them in the listing, unless you're an allowed reader of those private blogs.

Thanks -- Joe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did some link testing on the boards and it seems to be working although it did add the www to some of my test links. I'm still subscribed (RSS) to the journals boards maybe it'll be a better read if posted links work again. The addition www seemed to break the journals.aol.com links.

Anonymous said...

Hello you might not know me but my name is Monae. I keep a journal titled "Dear Diary". I have to say that I have a problem. The place where I keep the list of the journals that I visit has small print and when I send someone a comment the print is small why is that ? Have you noticed the problem ? I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Please send me a reply to let me know if this is something I am doing wrong. Thank You.