Friday, February 3, 2006

Things I Did Not Know About Alerts (Plus, Feeds Stuff)

Hi folks -- I've got some information about Alerts that may be useful to some people.

* Alerts Turning Themselves Off? As you might recall, last week, I blogged about how I wasn't getting my comment alerts.

Well, after a day or two, I finally wised up and went to my Alerts Settings Page, http://alerts.aol.com/ -- to check my settings.

Lo and behold: In the section under "Status", it said OFF when it should have said ON.

Alerts Control Panel

That was kind of odd. Anyway, I clicked the check box next to the name of the Alert and clicked the Turn On button. (Also, if you want to check or change your Alert delivery methods, click the pencil in the "Edit" column.)

Now, why did my comment Alerts turn off? Things usually don't happen spontaneously for no reason, so I asked the Alerts folks what could have caused this. Here is what they came back with:
"There is one process in the Alerts system that runs daily and can turn off your alert delivery IF you hit the Spam button when you open the alert e-mail with one of the AOL mail programs. If so, the Alerts process might turn off the alert delivery automatically."
As it happens, I think I actually did accidentally mark one of my comment Alerts as spam around that time, so that may be the cause. Note that this may happen even if you go back into your spam folder and say "This Is Not Spam" on the Alert e-mail.

In any case, if you stop getting Alerts delivery all of a sudden, the first thing you should do is check your Alerts settings and make sure they're turned on.

* Maximum Number of Alerts: Now, here's another piece of info I didn't know until now -- I got word from the Alerts team that the maximum number of alerts allowable per user is 200, which includes all types of alerts. If you go over 200, you may run into problems.

In the past, I'd known that some of you had 200 or more Alerts, but I didn't connect the dots until now. The workaround, of course, is to delete Alerts that may be inactive or otherwise unused, to keep your under the 200-Alert limit.

Now, honestly, when Iheard that some of you have over 200 Alerts, I thought you were kind of, well... crazy. Personally, between all of my e-mail accounts, I get dozens (sometimes hundreds) of e-mails every day, so the thought of trying to keep tabs of 200 Alerts on top of that makes me kind of dizzy. However, I know everyone has their own way of doing things the way they like, so who am I to judge?

I will, however, offer an alternative -- to keep track of a large number of Journals and blogs, I would recommend using a feedreader, which I think is a cleaner solution than getting lots of different alerts -- I will definitely be writing more about RSS feeds in coming entries, though in the meantime, you can see what I blogged before about using feedreaders to keep track of blogs and other Web pages that use feeds.

Don't let the jargon fool you -- feeds are just another way to subscribe to blogs and other content, and you can read them in a feedreader program, which is sort of what an e-mail program is to managing your e-mail.

Personally, I've tried a bunch of different feedreader programs; most of them are free, some of them are Web-based (which is convenient, since you can check your feeds no matter where you go), and most of them are "smart" enough that they can find the feed associated with any given URL; some I've tried include:

* Customizable Web Home Pages, like the My AOL Beta, My Yahoo! or the Google customized page.

* Web Feedreaders like Bloglines or NewsGator

* Standalone Feedreader Programs like NetNewsWire Lite, which is a freeware feedreader that works on Mac OSX.

There's a whole list of different feedreading programs and services available at http://www.atomenabled.org/everyone/atomenabled/index.php?c=5 -- we also link to this page in the popup window linked from the top of every AOL Journal, where it says Get the Feed (Atom/RSS):

RSS Feed Info

For example, this what you'll see when you click the link at the top of my blog. (This is also how you can find out your Journal's feed address.)

I know there are more Alerts, Feeds, and other questions and problems out there; between Product Manager Susan and myself, we will try to keep you informed.

Thanks -- Joe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh Joe? Remember me? Yea well, when I suscribe to a journal I still have to go to the Alert delivery method thingy and uncheck all but email. I checked and I have it down as just email but when I suscribe it changes it...by itself! Now, it's okay. I can handle doing it manually, I just wanted you to know that I am still having strange things happening to me. You have to admit, I keep things interesting!

Anonymous said...

Hi... if memory serves -- didn't you also have over 200 Alert subscriptions? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting Joe. thank you. I would like to learn more. cheers
natalie

Anonymous said...

I use Bloglines and keep the alerts for private journals.

Anonymous said...

In the past few days I've added about five new entries to my journal. Nobody got an alert for them so I find myself having to email people so they can read what I've written. I'm getting a little sick of this, I don't have time to send out my own alerts, I thought that AOL was supposed to do that. Have you got an answer as to what's going on? Jeannette. http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

Two of my journals recently had their counters reset, within a week of each other.  How disappointing.  Dust Bunny was up to 43,000+.  I don't doubt that it was more for advertising purposes but it was a little ego booster for me to watch the numbers climbing.  I'm pouting so I deleted the counter.