Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Better Way to Search Journals

Hi folks -- so, last week I was talking with Journals Product Manger Susan about the state of AOL Journals Search.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the current Journals/Hometown search -- it works okay if you're searching for a Journal by a specific screen name (I do this a lot, since a lot of silly people write me without giving their blog's address), but it's pretty hit or miss when it comes to keyword searches.

The Journals team is looking at a couple of different options for replacing the current Journals search with something better in the near- to mid-term, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, here's a way to get a much better Journals search experience -- which even includes a better way to search the content of your own Journal.

In case you'd forgotten, AOL Search is powered by Google, so what I'm going to show you works for the regular Google search, though because I'm a loyal company man, I am going to use AOL Search as my example.

All you have to do is use the AOL Search Advanced Search form:

AOL Search Advanced Search

We do a pretty good job of hiding it, don't you think? The direct URL is http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/advanced

When you go to that address, you will see the Advanced Search form (excerpted below):

AOL Search Advanced Search

Advanced Search gives you a bunch of options to narrow and filter your Search results. (If you know the search syntax, you can do all of these by typing commands into the search box, but we'll get to that later.)

What we're interested in is at the very bottom, which I circled in red: The item that says "ONLY for this domain:"

This field lets you restrict your search results to a specific Web address, or a portion of a Web address. This is very,very useful.

For example, say I want to search only AOL Journals. In that case, I would type my search term (say, cow-orker), then type journals.aol.com into the box next to "ONLY for this domain:",  since journals.aol.com is part of every AOL Journals address. Here are the results for that search.

But wait, there's more!

Say I want to search only my own AOL Journals. Assuming I have a few Journals under my screen name, I would type the portion of the Web address that includes my screen name, journals.aol.com/journalseditor (check out the results).

I can go farther... if I want to search only one Journal, I would just have to type the rest of the Journal's address -- in my case, it would be journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke (here are the results, though they're the same as before in this example.)

So, in the picture above (see the parts circled in red), I am searching for the word cow-orker only in Web sites that have journals.aol.com/journalseditor in their address.

Here are the search results for that query, so you can see it works.

(If you like, you can skip the form entirely; the advanced search syntax for the site-restricted search is:

site:journals.aol.com/journalseditor cow-orker

If you paste that into the AOL Search box, you will get the same thing as using the Advanced Search form (note there's no space between the site: and the address); a search on the term cow-orker, restricted to Web sites with journals.aol.com/journalseditor in the address.)

You can also bookmark the search in your Favorite Places, or keep it as one of your Saved Searches, so you can quickly access it instead of retyping everything.

Anyway, you can play around with the search and the search URLs and see how you like it. It's very handy if you're looking for something on a specific Web site; I use it all the time.

Don't forget, you can find out what's going on with AOL Search in their official blog, All About AOL Search.

Thanks -- Joe

[Update: Okay, I was trying to get too cute with cow-orker, since that search as shown also pulls up co-worker and coworker -- it's ignoring the dash. If you want to search only on cow-orker, enclose it in quotes: "cow-orker" -- Joe]

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe
Thanks for asking about the journals search functions.  I am looking forward to seeing what Susan and her team come up with.  In the meantime, you have given us some great tips here on how to enhance our journals searching experience.  Thanks again!
Sam

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Back before the advert goo flew I did a search tutorial for finding Journals using a variety of advanced search options with several search engines:
http://journals.aol.com/sepintx/sometimesphotoblog/entries/1376

Turned out pretty well. I still use the Hometown search when it comes matching a screen name to Journal URL. It's a simple search, but very important within the community. I hope any improvement to Hometown search preserves that simple aspect of the search.

Anonymous said...

(In no offense, since I appreciate explaining this with detail with AOL Search)
However, this can easily be accomplished for ANY website with Google. Google Search Operators are the component here. http://www.google.com/help/operators.html has an explanation of how to be a power user with google.

In this example I just type this into google
site:http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke "features"

And the results are: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fjournals.aol.com%2Fjournalseditor%2Fmagicsmoke+%22features%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

It works very well, and practice makes perfect. :)


--Joe--
Happenings - http://journals.aol.com/josephmaaz/happenings/

Anonymous said...

This will be useful next time I need to look up something I wrote a while ago - as I often do!  Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe ... this is a great tip!
         *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

CLSaunders -- check out my instructions on how to use the File Manager to fix your hit counter:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/622

Since you will probably just want to reset your hit counter (since you mention that it's never worked for you), you probably just need to delete your .odometer file, which is a lot easier than wanting to change the number.

Thanks -- Joe (posted and mailed)

Anonymous said...

Memes: Sounds like a QuickView problem; you might need to reinstall your viewpoint player -- your best bet is to check with Member Services, they should be able to walk you through the procedure or point you to the online references.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips, Joe..can't wait to see what's in store for Journals Search! :-)

- Raven
http://journals.aol.com/samhainskies/blog

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Shazaam!  It really works!  Thanks, I love it!

Anonymous said...

*wishin' and hopin' and dreamin'...of all those characters that will one day be added to "About Me", so I can add my own custom search bar to my journal.  <sigh>

thanks joe  :)

andi

Anonymous said...

Hello there.................Could you please help me fix my problem of enterring into the journals on my private list of journal pals?  Thank you.    PJs7053@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I've asked the Journals team to take a look -- this should have been fixed when they tweaked the rostering database. In the meantime, you can try removing and readding the members of your private Journal's roster; that seems to work for most people.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi kellwitch,
If you notice your comment starts off by "Comment from kellwitch" and the kellwitch name is hyperlinked. If you click on the link it shows all the journals, that person owns. You will only see public journals of that person.
Hope that helps,
Vish