Tuesday, February 7, 2006

I'm Still Here

Hi folks -- sorry I didn't post yesterday. Got a lot of stuff going on right now, as usual; some of it involves some new ways we've got to display blog feeds that I'm playing around with. Also, Product Manager Susan and I are also kicking up a fuss about hit counters to find out why things went wonky after a few months of blissfully quiet tallying.

In the meantime, if you want to update your counter manually, please check out my step-by-step instructions for using File Manager to fiddle with your hit coutner.

If you were able to change your counter after reading my article, as a favor to other people, please let me know how I can improve my instructions -- I know some people are having problems and I want to be as clear and easy-to-follow in that entry as I can.

In other news, we know some of our UK Journalers are having an ongoing problem with new entry Alerts displaying in the wrong template.

In AOL Alerts, there are three delivery methods -- Online, E-Mail, and Wireless Device.

For unknown reasons, some AOL UK Journals Entry alerts are going to the Wireless Device template, instead of the e-mail template. The Wireless template is only about 100 characters and has a  "Register wireless device" link, so it looks odd, but is not a spam, ad or scam.

It's an ongoing problem -- apparently it happens sometimes when the Alert content exceeds a certain length. The team is looking into it, though International stuff is usually extra tricky to deal with.

Lastly, I'm working on an entry right now talking about some political blogging issues; in the meantime, check out this Wired News article from yesterday on how to create your own phone ringtones (so you don't have to pay to download them).

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh Joe? Do you ever take a day off? I mean you are always around. I am glad, don't get me wrong but...have you been cloned?

Anonymous said...

hey joe.
im glad u are back. You really don't have to write everyday. I don't know how you do it...don't you feel the need to refresh your memory once in a while. Do you ever get writers block? Once in a while take a break.
eli

Anonymous said...

Put Brandy on the hit counter thing... I'm a tech moron, and I was able to get my blog to play music after her easy-to-implement instructions.

Anonymous said...

Joe has asked here to suggest any thing that could help on the counter changes. To Joe is may seem quite easy to mess around with the odometer. But to the average guy out here, things aren't always as simple, as Joe would make us think.  I have messed with this issue on the counter reset for days now, and Joe has responded a couple of time directly, and one or twice thru his bog. I think I finally got it, but as for his wanting possible suggestions, here goes. Joe you may want to try and clarify the "text file", (7) and "plain text file" (8)..Again to you Joe, this is all very simple, but to most of us out here, it is very complex, I think. Now between studying over and over - Using File Manager to Fiddle with hit Counters -(9/20/05), and Web-Based File Manager is Here!- (also 9/20/05), I was able to get my counter reset. Keeping my fingers crossed now that I have attained that goal. Again I want to thank you Joe for your patience also. Your are a trooper. Would love to hear from those that have "suffered" the same fate...

Larry

larryt39@aol.com

http://journals.aol.com/LarryT39/LarrysThoughts

Anonymous said...

Thanks but I ended up taking my counter off in the end. laine xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/elainey2465/MyArtWorld/

Anonymous said...

Hi, I managed to change my odometer with your instructions and I consider myself a technophobe - I can't use my vcr!
The only problem was I got to number 9, and clicked "delete this file" which I did but then the box popped up to ask if I was SURE I wanted to delete which to be honest I wasn't. So, just to say, YES, you are sure the file should be deleted and then everything else is simple after that! SUCCESS!

Anonymous said...

Hi...thanks for your suggestions, I've tweaked the instructions a bit.  Thanks -- Joe