Monday, February 13, 2006

About My Cow-Orkers

Sigh.

Okay, folks, let's put this to rest:

When I find it necessary to write the word "co-worker", I substitute "cow-orker" whenever I can. It's one of my writing conventions. A singular style,
if you will. I've been using it for at least the last decade. It's one
of my endearing qualities.  (Or not.)

If you like playing with words (and you're kind of a geek), you'll find a lot of humor in intentional typos like this. Man's laughter instead of manslaughter and such.

Now, I don't think it actually started out as a typo for me -- I just like writing it. It makes me laugh. Just say it out loud. See? Instant hilarity.

This reminds me of another convention that I don't get to use nearly as often -- one of my IRC friends used to hang around with some shady 3l33t haxx0r types -- one of their language quirks was using "donut" instead of "don't." So naturally, he passed it along to us, and it grew to include can't and won't (canut and wonut), though donut is still the most common form among my people. Because, you know, it's fun to say donut, since donuts are fun.

Oddly enough, "ainut" never caught on.

Thanks -- Joe


Tags: ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

At this point, I think you're milking it - your friend and bull-worker, Bill

Anonymous said...

That reminds me: "fiend" vs. "friend" -- more instant high-larity.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I read this entry and understood everything you said. Help me.

Anonymous said...

Endearing, huh?  Suuure...!  I know you do it as I've seen it prior to the recent entry.  I like to play with words, too.  But I work with some who'd cuff me across the top of the head for cow-orkers.  It sound's like a mix of cows and porkers!  Or a cowpoke who went to Brokeback Mountain.  Or a bovine Mindy's friend.  Or something.
http://jackiestvblog.blogspot.com/
--Jackie

Anonymous said...

My favorite word play is with God's Word, or God Sword... I think of God's word as being the sword of God. I remember the day I became fascinated with that juxtaposition of words, June 28, 1997.  PS Thanks, Joe, for helping me get my hit counter working again. Bea

Anonymous said...

The problem is that <a href="http://www.answers.com/cow-orker">"cow-orker" has a meaning already</a>.  Referring to people you work with as "cow-orkers" implies that instead of <b>working</b>, they sit around "orking" cows, where the verb "ork" suggests some act illegal in the northern United States.

It suggests a similar act as that which South Park advises not to say in front of Jesus, except with cows.

You might think it's funny to call them "cow-orkers" because of the meaning you applied to it, but that's like saying "you're a jackass, but that's funny, because I think 'jackass' means 'a very sexy looking person.'"  Language doesn't always work that way.  :-)

Anonymous said...

Dossy,

I think you're projecting.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll have to remember cow orker on my next memo to the office.  Great coming from an HR Manager don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Dossy- Orking is the act of taking close-ups of animals noses.
See: http://www.monkeon.co.uk/orking/

Joe- This has to be one of the longest typo explantions I've read. You closed with a mention of food and buying lunch is a time honored act of contrition.

"Eat at Joe's" expense sounds catchy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
hummmm
Ill have to get the Smurfette (Monponsett) take on this one, since it's in a foreign language smirk!
nat